1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional derivative of vector valued functions?

1. Jan 13, 2007 #1
    Just to confirm, is the directional derivative of a vector valued function calculated as Lu ? where L is the Frechet derivative , and u is the unit vector in the direction.

There seem to be a lot of sources for a real valued function's directional derivative, but very little on vector valued function in Rm.

it says DuF(directional derivative) = lim (F(x + tu) - F(x)) / t as t->0
    if F is diff'ble, then -] L , then just set h = tu, we get the desired result?..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's a reason why you find "very little on vector valued function in Rm"!

If f is a differentiable function from Rm to Rn, then the derivative of f is a linear function from Rm to Rn which can be represented by a n by m matrix. In particular, the directional derivative of a n dimensional vector valued function on Rm in the direction of vector m dimensional vector v, is an n dimensional vector given by the product of the matrix representing the derivative and the vector v, represented as a column matrix.

4. Jan 13, 2007 #3
    so that means, if the Fretchet derivative is L, and the directional vector is u, it is just Lu.

5. Sep 16, 2007 #4
    Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I would like to clarify a doubt, if possible.

In order to calculate the directional derivative of a scalar field, we must use a unit vector to define the direction.

What happens in the case of a vector field? Does the direction also have to be defined by a unit vector, or we can use any vector?

If anyone could help, I would appreciate.

6. Sep 16, 2007 #5
    Consider the derivative operator [tex]D_v[/tex]. We require it to be linear in the direction of integration, v. So [tex]D_{2v} = 2 D_v[/tex] and [tex]D_{u+v} = D_u + D_v[/tex]. In fact, this correspondence is taken to be an isomorphism in differential geometry, where tangent vectors are defined to be directional derivative operators.

7. Sep 16, 2007 #6
    Thanks for your reply, but my doubt remains. :blushing:

I'll use 2 examples:

Scalar field

f(x,y)=x[tex]^{3}[/tex]y[tex]^{2}[/tex]

To find the directional derivative for this function in the point P(-1,2), in the direction of the vector a=4i-3j, we must start by finding a unit vector, u, with the same direction as a.

u=[tex]\frac{1}{\left\right\|a\|}[/tex]a = [tex]\frac{1}{5}[/tex] (4i-3j) = [tex]\frac{4}{5}[/tex]i - [tex]\frac{3}{5}[/tex]j

The result is:

Du f(x,y) = 3x[tex]^{2}[/tex]y[tex]^{2}[/tex] ([tex]\frac{4}{5}[/tex]) + 2x[tex]^{3}[/tex]y ([tex]\frac{-3}{5}[/tex])

For P(-1,2)

Du f(-1,2) = 12

Vector field

f(x,y)= (y logx, x[tex]^{3}[/tex] - 3y)

Suppose we want to find the directional derivative for this function in the point P(1,2), in the direction of the vector v=1i+4j.

My doubt is: do we need to find a unit vector or we simply use v=(1,4).

I solved it like this (but I'm not sure it's right):

Dv f(x,y) = [[y/x, logx][3x[tex]^{2}[/tex], -3]]*[[1][4]]
    Dv f(1,2) = [[2][-9]]

Sorry for the matrix notation, but I couldn't get it right with LaTeX.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?