Directional Derivatives .... Apostol, Section 12.2, Example 4 ....

In summary, Peter is reading Tom M Apostol's book "Mathematical Analysis" and is having difficulty understanding part of an example. He needs help from someone who knows more about the subject.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Tom M Apostol's book "Mathematical Analysis" (Second Edition) ...I am focused on Chapter 12: Multivariable Differential Calculus ... and in particular on Section 12.2: The Directional Derivative ... ...I need help with part of Example 4, Section 12.2 ...Section 12.2, including the Examples, reads as follows:
View attachment 8498
View attachment 8499
In Example 4 above, we read the following:

"More generally, \(\displaystyle F'(t) = f'(c + tu; u)\) if either derivative exists."Can someone help me to show, formally and rigorously, that \(\displaystyle F'(t) = f'(c + tu; u)\) ... ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter

============================================================================

It may help MHB readers of the above post to have access to Apostol's definition of the derivative of a function of one real variable ... so I am providing the same as follows:
View attachment 8500

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attachments

• Apostol - 1 - Section 12.2 ... PART 1 ... .png
    Apostol - 1 - Section 12.2 ... PART 1 ... .png
    22.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Apostol - 2 - Section 12.2 ... PART 2 .png
    Apostol - 2 - Section 12.2 ... PART 2 .png
    19.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Apostol - Definition 5.1  ... .png
    Apostol - Definition 5.1 ... .png
    11.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Tom M Apostol's book "Mathematical Analysis" (Second Edition) ...I am focused on Chapter 12: Multivariable Differential Calculus ... and in particular on Section 12.2: The Directional Derivative ... ...I need help with part of Example 4, Section 12.2 ...Section 12.2, including the Examples, reads as follows:In Example 4 above, we read the following:

"More generally, \(\displaystyle F'(t) = f'(c + tu; u)\) if either derivative exists."Can someone help me to show, formally and rigorously, that \(\displaystyle F'(t) = f'(c + tu; u)\) ... ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter

By definition of the derivative,

\[\begin{aligned}\mathbf{F}^{\prime}(t) &= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\mathbf{F}(t+h)-\mathbf{F}(t)}{h}\\ &= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{c}+(t+h)\mathbf{u})-\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{c}+t\mathbf{u})}{h}\\ &= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{c}+t\mathbf{u}+h\mathbf{u})-\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{c}+t\mathbf{u})}{h}\\ &= \mathbf{f}^{\prime}(\mathbf{c}+t\mathbf{u};\mathbf{u})\quad\text{by definition of directional derivative}\end{aligned}\]

Setting $t=0$ yields $\mathbf{F}^{\prime}(0)=\mathbf{f}^{\prime}(\mathbf{c};\mathbf{u})$.

I hope this clarifies things!

EDIT: I used a different definition of the derivative...but it shouldn't be too hard to see why this is still true.

Chris L T521 said:
By definition of the derivative,

\[\begin{aligned}\mathbf{F}^{\prime}(t) &= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\mathbf{F}(t+h)-\mathbf{F}(t)}{h}\\ &= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{c}+(t+h)\mathbf{u})-\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{c}+t\mathbf{u})}{h}\\ &= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{c}+t\mathbf{u}+h\mathbf{u})-\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{c}+t\mathbf{u})}{h}\\ &= \mathbf{f}^{\prime}(\mathbf{c}+t\mathbf{u};\mathbf{u})\quad\text{by definition of directional derivative}\end{aligned}\]

Setting $t=0$ yields $\mathbf{F}^{\prime}(0)=\mathbf{f}^{\prime}(\mathbf{c};\mathbf{u})$.

I hope this clarifies things!

EDIT: I used a different definition of the derivative...but it shouldn't be too hard to see why this is still true.
Hi Chris ...

Thanks for the help ...

Very clear indeed ... and most helpful ...

Peter

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a specific direction at a given point. It tells us how fast the function is changing in the direction of a given vector.

How do you calculate a directional derivative?

To calculate a directional derivative of a function f at a point (a,b), we first find the unit vector u in the direction we want to measure. Then, we take the dot product of the gradient of f at (a,b) with u. This gives us the directional derivative of f in the direction of u at (a,b).

What is the difference between a partial derivative and a directional derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. A directional derivative measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction at a given point.

Can a directional derivative be negative?

Yes, a directional derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of the given vector at the given point.

In what real-world applications are directional derivatives used?

Directional derivatives are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to analyze the rate of change of a physical quantity in a specific direction, such as the rate of change of temperature in the direction of heat flow or the rate of change of profit in a specific market direction.