Disc Golf: Have You Been Beaned By a Toss?

• Thread starter marley.wannabee
  • Start date
In summary, you started a topic about disc golf many years ago in one of the first physicsforums incarnations. You play a lot of disc golf and live at high altitude specifically for training purposes. You think disc golf is a great experience and it's more interesting than just a morning walk. You think the thin air is getting to you and you need to be under someone's watchful eye.
marley.wannabee
I started a topic about disc golf many years ago in one of the first physicsforums incarnations. I think it was actually pf 1.0. Greg, how long has physics forums been alive?
Anyway, i play a lot of disc golf. I live at high altitude specifically for training purposes. I'm hoping to go pro at the mid summer point. Does anyone here play? Have you or your friends ever been beaned by one of my bad tosses? if so please accept my apology. May you have 14 children!
I think the thin air is getting to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:rolleyes: yup, this was the right forum!

Last edited:
You sure it isn't the smoke that is getting to you... you do play disc golf... :biggrin:

Last edited:
i play gold gold, golf disc... gold

smoke?

;)

ps, i just think i need to be under your watchful eye...
yeah, that's it.

So, if I don't accept your apology, does that mean I'm spared from having 14 children? I already have one tribdog to chase after, and I'm really not sure I'm up to a whole litter of kids too.

It is the funniest sport I've ever watched played...once I figured out all those strange looking trash cans around the campus were actually disc golf "holes." :rofl: The disc golfers get a bit touchy too if you cheerfully throw their "frisbee" back to them when it lands in front of you. :biggrin:

lol, yes, disc golfers are a bunch of incorrigables (did i speel that right?)
You just have to get to know one, find their weakness... then blackmail them. You won't get any cash because... well, we're all broke. But what you will get is... um, i forgot.

i think this might get more exposure in GD...it's on my agenda to learn discgolf, right after the oregon rains disappear...and what's this about discgolfers and smoke? i am confused. o:) :cool: :tongue:

I play disc golf. I wouldn't say I had any intentions to turn pro, though. In fact, I've only played one course (it happens to be a couple blocks from my house).

It's a great experience at around 6 or 7 in the morning (in the summer, anyway) -- much more interesting than just a morning walk. Lot's of trees to work around, plus a creek that lies at the bottom of a 20 foot deep, 100 foot wide ravine. Occasionally, we even have enough rain to provide a water hazard for one of the holes.

You haven't seen true beauty until you've watched a disc float gently across the creek in the morning sunlight - of course, since all of the holes are on same side of the creek, that also means your disc broke right instead of left and you're going to go wading to retrieve your disc, but water sports are fun, too. :biggrin:

1. What is disc golf?

Disc golf is a sport that combines elements of traditional golf with the rules of Frisbee. Instead of hitting a ball with a club, players throw a disc into a metal basket, aiming to complete the course with the fewest number of throws.

2. How is disc golf different from regular golf?

Disc golf is played on a course with 18 holes, just like traditional golf, but the holes are much shorter and often feature obstacles such as trees and terrain changes. Instead of using clubs and balls, players use specialized discs that are designed for different types of throws.

3. What is the "beaning" rule in disc golf?

The "beaning" rule states that if a player's disc hits another player on the course, they automatically add one stroke to their score. This rule is in place to prevent players from purposely hitting others with their discs and causing injury.

4. Are there different types of discs used in disc golf?

Yes, there are different types of discs used in disc golf, each with a specific purpose. Drivers are used for long shots, mid-range discs are used for shorter, more controlled shots, and putters are used for close-range shots into the basket.

5. Is disc golf a physically demanding sport?

While disc golf does require some physical activity, it is not as physically demanding as traditional golf. However, players may still need to walk long distances and use their arms to make powerful throws, so it is important to stay in shape and warm up before playing.