Discover the Secret to Effortless Motorbike Lifting with Central Stands

• Thread starter Alec98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lever
In summary, the central stand of this guy's motorcycle enables him to lift it with little effort by using mechanical advantage. The stand is near the back of the bike, and the rider uses body weight and some leverage to make the transition work. Once the bike is over the pivot-contact point line, it falls down a little into a self-locked position. To dismount the bike, the rider only needs to push forward.
Alec98
Homework Statement:: How does the central stand of this guy's motorbike enable him to lift it with little effort?
https://youtu.be/QjhqcrGvlvg
Relevant Equations:: I understand he succeeds by using mechanical advantage having good leverage from the engineering in the stand.

Could anyone help me work out a resonable explanation of how that leverage works? It makes no sense to me...

Engineering news on Phys.org
He looks a beefy guy, so may weigh about half as much as the bike.
If the stand is nearer the back than the bike CoG, as appears to be the case because the rear wheel lifts, then the pivot is the front wheel and there is some lever mechanical advantage.
When the stand is on the floor, are the bike support leg and the foot lever at different angles to the ground? Looks maybe. Then the foot may be further (horizontally) from the pivot point (on the ground), than the support attachment point to the bike. Again some MA.
Doesn't look like he does this, but a lighter person could increase his force by accelerating his body upwards sharply as he steps on the foot lever.
Ditto he could apply a little horizontal torque on the handle bar and top box as he steps on.

If you can find a sideview so that we can estimate a few measurements maybe we could quantify that a bit.
motorbike.png

• Love
Likes Lnewqban and Alec98
Really thank you, I probably couldn't have wished for a more complete answer. I don't really need to obtain specifically the real measurements in this case, it was mainly a matter of understanding how the leverage produces the MA and now i get it 100%! :smile:

I've lifted plenty of pretty heavy streetbikes using their centerstands. I think the keys are that you don't have to lift the weight of the bike very high (and not the whole weight -- the front wheel stays on the ground), the pivot for the centerstand is very close to the COG for the bike (just slightly behind it), and the lever arm of the lifting stand compared to the lifting distance gives you a good mechanical advantage.

Even with all of that though, it does take a lot of your weight and some lifting with your right hand in opposition to your right foot pressing down in order to make the centerstand transition work.

Do you have any friends with such motorcycles that you could ask for a demo and to try it? I switched to sportbikes/superbikes many years ago, so even if you are close to Silicon Valley, California, I'm not able to help you try it out. :smile:

Likes Lnewqban
There is also the pushing of the bike back simultaneously as you keep the stand pressed against the surface in order to obtain enough friction.
The vertical distance is small and the stand acts more like a cam than like a lever: basically the bike is "encouraged" by the rider to jump over the stand.
Once the bike is over the vertical position of pivot-contact point line, it falls down a little into a self-locked position.
Dismounting the bike from there requires only a pushing forward effort.

Related to Discover the Secret to Effortless Motorbike Lifting with Central Stands

1. What is a central stand for motorbikes?

A central stand for motorbikes is a device that allows a rider to effortlessly lift their motorbike off the ground and keep it upright. It is typically located in the center of the motorbike and uses a lever or pedal mechanism to lift the bike.

2. How does a central stand work?

A central stand works by using a lever or pedal mechanism to lift the motorbike off the ground. This mechanism often utilizes the weight of the motorbike and the rider's body weight to lift the bike. Once the bike is lifted, the central stand keeps it upright and stable.

3. What are the benefits of using a central stand for motorbikes?

Using a central stand for motorbikes has several benefits. It allows for effortless lifting of the motorbike, making it easier for riders to perform maintenance or repairs. It also helps keep the motorbike stable and upright, reducing the risk of it tipping over. Additionally, a central stand can help save space in a garage or storage area by keeping the motorbike in an upright position.

4. Are central stands compatible with all types of motorbikes?

No, central stands are not compatible with all types of motorbikes. They are designed specifically for certain models and sizes of motorbikes. It is important to check the compatibility of a central stand before purchasing one to ensure it will work with your motorbike.

5. Are central stands easy to install?

The ease of installation for a central stand can vary depending on the specific model and type of motorbike. Some may require more effort and tools to install, while others may be more straightforward. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for proper installation.