Exploring Discovery-Based Learning: Insights from a Stats Class

• Thread starter vinnie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about discovery-based learning and its effectiveness in different subjects and classes. The participants share their experiences and opinions on the topic, with some stating that it can work well if certain conditions are met, while others find it frustrating and challenging. One person suggests that it takes time to adjust to this method of learning and advises not to give up, while another recommends studying the material in advance to make it easier to understand in class.
vinnie
I would like people's opinions on discovery-based learning. Have you any experience with it? I am in a stat's class right now in which both the teacher and textbook use it. Students are discouraged and frustrated to say the least.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
The teacher needs to supply formal instruction to explain the "discoveries" which the students find. The students' job is NOT to recreate the subject, but is to perform exercises and find trends of data and experience various forms of data display, and build some familiarity. Then, the teacher needs to clarify and help refine the knowledge and skills which the students are studying. If students have experience with something, then teaching it is more successful than if students have no experience with that something.

The basic idea of discovery-based learning could work in statistics, but probably is a bad idea for Algebra, Geometry(depending on level of knowledge needed), Trigonometry, Calculus, and many others. The teacher then needs to solidify any inadequacies in the discoveries using traditional directed teaching.

Actually, some aspects of college preparatory Geometry can be converted into exercises to help in discovery based learning, after which mor formal instruction is needed to consolidate learning (just as in a lower-level statistics class).

Teacher walks around the classroom offering help while we work independently. It's like getting five percent of a lecture because I have to share him with the other 19 students. If a teacher lectures, you get 100 percent of it. He offers help outside of class whatever it takes, but for those whose schedules are "full", it makes it difficult. One girl was in tears the other day because of the workload coupled with not knowing what to do.

What kind of activities are assigned in the classroom? Not having seen the written instructions of your either handouts or activity manual, judging the instruction is not reasonable - we can only guess based on the general information you have presented so far.

vinnie said:
I would like people's opinions on discovery-based learning. Have you any experience with it? I am in a stat's class right now in which both the teacher and textbook use it. Students are discouraged and frustrated to say the least.

Any thoughts?

We use discovery-based learning here in the Medical School. The idea of discovery-based learning is that you, the student, is made responsible for learning the material rather than the instructor responsible for teaching a specific list of topics. In general, it can work really well if:

1) The students have a clear understanding of what is required of them.
2) The students are able to independently learn.
3) The instructor is effective at keeping the discussion on track.

Discovery-based learning will not work, IMHO, if:

1) The course material consists primarily of factual information that must be mastered (i.e. proofs, worked problems)
2) The students have no idea what is expected of them.

Paradoxically, I have more work to do when leading a course discussion than when presenting a lecture. The advantage is that the students can spend more time of subtopics they find interesting and more time addressing concepts they find challenging.

We're told to do these two investigations in class, (half of which require a computer program) and then three practice problems at home. That is all. He is available for office hours and is more than willing to help then. But then it is difficult to even know where to begin. It becomes frustrating in class when one has to wait 20 minutes to get an answer on something, especially when you can't move on to the next part of the problem until your question is answered. I can't say whether I approve of this method or not. It is just a huge adjustment.

Is there some sort of "learning curve" associated with discovery-based learning?

yea, I think most college classes are sort of teach yourself. We may have a semblance of a lecture, but they cover an immense amount of material in a small amount of time and only cover the concepts. The homework requires a mastery of the concepts. Suffice to say, it takes many many hours of self-teaching and many sessions in my professor's office every week to survive class. I'm not dumb. I get A's. It's just really really hard sometimes, and we need to learn to cope with the environment. Don't give up is my only advice. I spend over 30 hours a week studying for my multivariable class a week. The teacher is just really difficulty, but I get by.

I would also highly recommend reading and studying the material that will be covered in the next class before you arrive. This way you will have had time to implicitly digest the material, making the second attempt at learning the material much easier.

zoner7 said:
yea, I think most college classes are sort of teach yourself. We may have a semblance of a lecture, but they cover an immense amount of material in a small amount of time and only cover the concepts. The homework requires a mastery of the concepts. Suffice to say, it takes many many hours of self-teaching and many sessions in my professor's office every week to survive class. I'm not dumb. I get A's. It's just really really hard sometimes, and we need to learn to cope with the environment. Don't give up is my only advice. I spend over 30 hours a week studying for my multivariable class a week. The teacher is just really difficulty, but I get by.

I would also highly recommend reading and studying the material that will be covered in the next class before you arrive. This way you will have had time to implicitly digest the material, making the second attempt at learning the material much easier.

Thanks. I will. I've got about a week to get caught up in the class. No football for me this weekend!

Related to Exploring Discovery-Based Learning: Insights from a Stats Class

What is discovery-based learning?

Discovery-based learning is an approach to education where students are encouraged to actively explore and investigate topics and concepts on their own, rather than being taught through direct instruction. It involves hands-on activities, experimentation, and problem-solving, allowing students to discover and construct their own knowledge and understanding.

How is discovery-based learning different from traditional teaching methods?

Traditional teaching methods involve the teacher imparting information to students through lectures, textbooks, and other forms of direct instruction. In discovery-based learning, students take a more active role in their own learning and are responsible for constructing their own understanding through exploration and inquiry.

What are the benefits of using discovery-based learning?

Discovery-based learning has been shown to promote critical thinking, creativity, and problem-solving skills. It also allows students to develop a deeper understanding of concepts and fosters a more positive attitude towards learning. It can also be more engaging and enjoyable for students, leading to increased motivation and retention of information.

What are some examples of discovery-based learning activities?

Discovery-based learning activities can include experiments, field trips, hands-on projects, and group discussions. For example, students could conduct a science experiment to explore how different liquids affect plant growth, or they could design and build a model of a sustainable city. Other activities may involve researching a topic and presenting their findings to the class.

How can discovery-based learning be implemented in the classroom?

To incorporate discovery-based learning in the classroom, teachers can provide students with open-ended questions or problems to solve, allow for hands-on exploration and experimentation, and facilitate group discussions and collaborative projects. Teachers can also act as guides and facilitators rather than lecturers, encouraging students to ask questions and guiding them towards finding answers on their own.