Discovery may spur cheap solar power: CNN

In summary, a major European chip maker announced a new method for producing solar cells that could potentially reduce the cost of solar panels by twenty times. However, the article is vague and the company's claim seems highly speculative, leading to skepticism about its potential impact on solving the world's energy problems. Despite this, the company is considered credible.
Computer science news on Phys.org
You know me - skeptical as always.

Sounds good, but the article is so vague as to make it sound like the company is speculating on a discovery that is yet to come. And the discovery they are talking about is THE technological discovery of all time - the one that eliminates the entire world's energy problems.

Excuse me for not holding my breath.

Still, the company is one of reasonable credibility.

Last edited:
Originally posted by russ_watters
You know me - skeptical as always.

Sounds good, but the article is so vague as to make it sound like the company is speculating on a discovery that is yet to come. And the discovery they are talking about is THE technological discovery of all time - the one that eliminates the entire world's energy problems.

Excuse me for not holding my breath.

Still, the company is one of reasonable credibility.

I agree. My guess is that this is a ploy for money; not to say that they their claim is bogus. It does sound highly speculative at best.

1. What is the discovery that could potentially lead to cheap solar power?

The discovery involves a new way to create perovskite solar cells, which are more efficient and less expensive to produce than traditional silicon-based solar cells.

2. How does this discovery make solar power more affordable?

Perovskite solar cells have a simpler production process and use less material, making them more cost-effective to manufacture compared to traditional solar cells.

3. What are the potential benefits of cheap solar power?

Cheap solar power could lead to a significant decrease in the cost of renewable energy, making it more accessible and widespread. This could also reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and help combat climate change.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using perovskite solar cells?

One potential drawback is the stability and durability of perovskite solar cells. They are still a relatively new technology and may not perform as well in harsh weather conditions or over long periods of time.

5. When can we expect to see this technology being used in the market?

The discovery is still in its early stages and further research and development is needed before it can be implemented on a large scale. It may take several years before we see this technology being used commercially.