Discrepancy in my calculations

In summary, the speaker is struggling with thermodynamics calculations and is not experienced in the subject. They are using an incremental simulation and comparing it to theoretical energy. They are also trying to formulate questions to better understand their mistakes. They provide an example of their calculations and ask for help in finding where they went wrong.
lilrex
I am having a problem with some thermodynamics calculations. I am not very experienced with them and it certainly shows in my frustration with them! Anyway the check that I am using is incrementally simulated work compared to theoretical energy in.

Example 31KJ in 133KJ mechanical work out. I am obviously way off considering other calculations predicted 42% thermal eff. if you ignore over unity. (diesel cycle)

I am having trouble formulating intelligent questions that might help me understand what I am doing wrong but here it goes:

let:

p = pressure, y = 1.4,Cr = compressed volume ratio, Ps = initial pressure, Ta = temp added = 1000,
Ti = initial temperature = 300K
Vr = volume ratio

Vr = Cr
if Cr = 1, then T = Ti * Cr^(y-1) = 300K, T = T + Ta, Cr = (T/Ti)^(1/(y-1)) = 39.089

if the volume did not increase, p = 14.7 * cr^(1.4) = 2490 psi

is this not correct? or am I missing something?

now if Vr = .5 then Cr = Cr/Vr = 78

1714K = Ti * Cr^(y-1)
and
6550 PSI = 14.7 * Cr^(1.4)
How does this second part look?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did not state the problem as given to you. Instead, you present your erroneous calculations and ask us to figure out where you went wrong. Without a clear statement of the problem and your work showing how you got 31 kJ in and 133 kJ mechanical work out, we cannot figure out where you went wrong.

1. Why am I getting different results in my calculations?

There could be several reasons for discrepancies in your calculations. Some common factors include rounding errors, incorrect data input, or the use of an inaccurate formula. It is important to double-check your work and review the steps you took to reach your calculations to identify the source of the discrepancy.

2. How can I prevent discrepancies in my calculations?

To reduce the likelihood of discrepancies in your calculations, it is important to use accurate and reliable data, double-check your work, and use precise formulas. It can also be helpful to use multiple methods and cross-check your results to ensure accuracy.

3. What should I do if I notice a discrepancy in my calculations?

If you encounter a discrepancy in your calculations, it is important to carefully review your work and identify the source of the error. You may need to revise your calculations and double-check your data and formulas. If you are still unable to resolve the discrepancy, it can be helpful to seek the assistance of a colleague or supervisor.

4. Can discrepancies in calculations affect the accuracy of my results?

Yes, discrepancies in calculations can have a significant impact on the accuracy of your results. Even small errors can lead to significant discrepancies, so it is important to strive for accuracy in all calculations.

5. How can I communicate discrepancies in my calculations to others?

If you discover discrepancies in your calculations, it is important to clearly communicate this to others who may be using your results. It can be helpful to provide detailed information about the discrepancy, including the steps you took to identify and resolve it. This will help ensure the accuracy and reliability of your work.