Discrete abelian subgroups

• Thread starter FreHam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discrete
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of discrete subgroups of R^n and their isomorphism to Zk. The discussion also touches on the definition and correctness of the term "isotropy group" and its relation to the orthogonal group O(n). It is concluded that discrete subgroups of R^n are isomorphic to Zk and not always abelian.
FreHam
Quick question:

Suppose I have a (transitive) R^n action on a manifold M. If the isotropy group of R^n is discrete, does that mean that it is automatically isomorphic to Z/kZ, with 0<=k<=n?

Basically, my discrete subgroup is a lattice then, right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The isotropy group is a subgroup of Rn so certainly can't have elements of finite order.

It is true that discrete subgroups of Rn have to look like Zk for some k

Office_Shredder said:
The isotropy group is a subgroup of Rn so certainly can't have elements of finite order.

Could you elaborate on that? Dummy here. So you are saying the isotropy group of R^n cannot be discrete?

I believe that Office_Shredder is incorrect. He seems to be thinking about subgroups of the translations group of [itex]R^n[/itex]. Since that group is itself isomorphic to R^n, its subgroups can be discrete, but they can't have elements of finite order (elements such that a^n=1 for some n), aside from the identity. Z/kZ (better known as [itex]Z_k[/itex]) is finite and all its elements have finite order.

I also have to question whether you're using the term isotropy group correctly.

hamster143 said:
I also have to question whether you're using the term isotropy group correctly.

Why? By isotropy group at some point m\in M, I mean the {g\in G | g(m)=m}. In my result I find that dim(iso-group)=0, so it is discrete. As G=G^n, that means the isotropy group is a discrete (abelian) subgroup of G, which I kind of hoped to be isomorphic to Z^k.

My group is isomorphic to R^n (group operation is addition). The left R-action acts on n factors, which I write as R^n.

To re-iterate, discrete subgroups of Rn are isomorphic to Zk for some k no larger than n, just like you would expect

What is a discrete abelian subgroup?

A discrete abelian subgroup is a subgroup of a larger group that is both discrete and abelian. This means that the elements of the subgroup are distinct from each other and that the group's operation is commutative.

How do discrete abelian subgroups differ from other types of subgroups?

Discrete abelian subgroups are unique in that they are both discrete and abelian. Other types of subgroups may be either discrete or abelian, but not both.

What are some examples of discrete abelian subgroups?

Some examples of discrete abelian subgroups include the subgroup of even integers in the group of integers, the subgroup of rational numbers with odd denominators in the group of rational numbers, and the subgroup of real numbers less than 1 in the group of real numbers.

How are discrete abelian subgroups used in mathematics?

Discrete abelian subgroups are often used in the study of group theory and abstract algebra. They can also be applied in other areas of mathematics, such as geometry and topology.

What properties do discrete abelian subgroups have?

Discrete abelian subgroups have several important properties, including closure under the group operation, existence of an identity element, and existence of inverse elements for each element in the subgroup. They also have the property of being a normal subgroup, meaning that they are invariant under conjugation by elements outside the subgroup.