Discrete logistic equation, restricted growth model

In summary, the conversation is about rewriting the logistic equation for population growth in a specific form. The conversation includes discussing the variables "r" and "K" and their role in the equation, as well as mentioning the purpose of the equation in a computer modelling class. The asker is struggling to understand how to rewrite the equation, but is confident in their ability to solve the rest of the questions.
Horseboy

Homework Statement

I need to write
\begin{align*} N_{k+1} = \frac{\lambda N_{k} }{1+aN_{k} } \end{align*}
in the form
\begin{align*} N_{k+1} = N_{k} + R(N_{k})N_{k} \end{align*}

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that
\begin{align*} N_{k+1} = N_{k} + R(N_{k})N_{k} \end{align*}
and that
\begin{align*} R(N_{k}) = -\frac{r}{K}N_{k}+r \end{align*}
where r is the growth rate, and K is the limiting factor.
Taking lambdaNk out the front, I get
\begin{align*} N_{k+1} = \lambda N_{k}\frac{1 }{1+aN_{k} } \end{align*}
Which looks a lot closer and simple as anything, but what am I trying to get to?It all seems simple enough, and I can do the rest of the work required, but I'm just having trouble grasping what the equation should look like and how to get there...
This is some homework for my IT class on computer modelling, I've done 4/6 questions but having trouble on the first two, this one being the first. There are other questions to this part, but I think I can handle them if I can grasp this bit.
Any ideas? Help will be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no "r" or "K" in your original formula. You say they are the "growth rate" and "limiting factor" so presumably you have some knowledge of how they affect Nk that you haven't told us.

Like the title says, this is about the logistic equation. It's a well known model of population growth. How "r" and "K"
affect it is given in the most basic understanding of the model.
I've given you just as much information as I've received. "r" and "K" are obviously constants, just as lambda and "a" are also. And like I said, I'm just having trouble rewriting my first equation in the required form to actually get the information I need from it.

What is the discrete logistic equation?

The discrete logistic equation is a mathematical model used to describe the population growth of a species over time. It takes into account the species' birth rate, death rate, and carrying capacity, which is the maximum population size that can be sustained by the environment.

How does the discrete logistic equation differ from the continuous logistic equation?

The discrete logistic equation is a discrete-time model, meaning that it is used to describe population growth at specific time intervals. The continuous logistic equation, on the other hand, is a continuous-time model, meaning that it describes population growth as a continuous function of time.

What is the restricted growth model?

The restricted growth model is a specific form of the discrete logistic equation, where the carrying capacity is a function of the current population size. This type of model is often used to describe population growth in situations where resources are limited.

What are the main assumptions of the discrete logistic equation?

The discrete logistic equation assumes that the birth rate and death rate of a species remain constant over time, and that the carrying capacity is fixed. It also assumes that there is no emigration or immigration and that the population is closed, meaning that there is no interaction with other populations.

How is the discrete logistic equation used in practical applications?

The discrete logistic equation is used in a variety of fields, including biology, ecology, and economics. It can be used to predict population growth and make informed decisions about resource management and conservation efforts. It can also be used to model the spread of diseases and the growth of competing species in an ecosystem.