Discrete Math: Understanding Sets and Elements

In summary, Discrete Math by Epp 4th edition has four elements: the symbol 4, the set {4} which has only one element, the set {1, {1}} which has two elements, and the set {1, {1}, {1, {1}}} which has three elements.
OrangutanLife
Hi,

My classes don't start until next week and I am trying to get a head start in my linear algebra, discrete math and calc 3 class!

I am using Discrete Math by Epp 4th edition.

1) I know 4 =/ {4} but why? 4 is a symbol representing the number 4, and {4} is a set with only one element which is the symbol 4. I keep thinking if you evaluate (maybe you can't) the set {4} you get the number 4, so 4 = {4}? What am I missing?

2) How many elements are in the set {1, {1}, {1, {1}}}? The answer is three, but I want to say four and here's why...

2a) Take this question from the book (answer is given). How many elements are in the set {1, {1}}? The answer is two, the symbol 1 and the set with only one element, the symbol 1.

So, for 2) let me count the elements: the symbol 1 (one), the set whose only element is the symbol 1 (two), the set whose elements are the symbol 1(three) and the set whose only elemental is the symbol 1 (four). That's 4 elements, but I have a feeling I am making a mistake here:
{1, {1} }. Which is similar to 2a).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Disregard this... I thought I found the solution to 2), but I didn't.

I didn't take any discrete math classes yet but I'm pretty sure for 1) that {1} is not equal to 1 because the former is a set and the latter is a number, as you stated yourself.

OrangutanLife said:
the set whose elements are the symbol 1(three) and the set whose only elemental is the symbol 1 (four)
No, it's the set whose elements are (the symbol 1 and the set whose only elemental is the symbol 1). That is all one element.
Think of the {} as an opaque envelope. You open an envelope to find, inside it, a sheet of paper and another envelope. There were two items in the first envelope. Opening the second envelope may reveal more, but does not change the fact that there were only two things in the first envelope.
Your mistake is in peeking inside the contained envelopes.

Likes member 587159
haruspex said:
No, it's the set whose elements are (the symbol 1 and the set whose only elemental is the symbol 1). That is all one element.
Think of the {} as an opaque envelope. You open an envelope to find, inside it, a sheet of paper and another envelope. There were two items in the first envelope. Opening the second envelope may reveal more, but does not change the fact that there were only two things in the first envelope.
Your mistake is in peeking inside the contained envelopes.

That makes sense. Thank you very much for clearing that up.

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, rather than continuous ones. It involves the study of finite or countable sets, algorithms, and logical reasoning.

2. How is discrete math different from other branches of math?

Discrete math is different from other branches of math because it deals with discrete, rather than continuous, objects. It also focuses on the study of structures, rather than numbers or quantities.

3. What are some real-world applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has many real-world applications, including computer science, cryptography, and network analysis. It is also used in decision-making and optimization problems in various industries.

4. What are some important concepts in discrete math?

Some important concepts in discrete math include set theory, graph theory, combinatorics, and logic. Other important topics include recursion, algorithms, and probability.

5. How can I improve my understanding of discrete math?

To improve your understanding of discrete math, it is important to practice solving problems and working through exercises. You can also read textbooks and online resources, attend lectures or workshops, and seek help from a tutor or mentor if needed.