Discrete math hw question

In summary, the question is asking for the smallest value of k such that any integer postage greater than k cents can be formed using only 4-cent and 9-cent stamps. It also requires using induction to prove that all larger values can be formed.
andytran
Hi,

This is one of the question from my hw, i don't even understand what it's asking? Please shed some light on it.. thx

what is the smallest value of k such that any integer postage greater than k cents can be formed by using only 4-cent and 9-cent stamps? Show that k cents in postage cannot be formed and use induction to prove that all larger values can be formed.

thank you!
A.T

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously, since you have only 4 and 9 cent stamps, you can't "form"
1, 2, or 3 cents in postage. You could get 4 cents obviously, but not 5 cents, 6 cents, or 7 cents. You can get 8 cents and 9 cents, but not 10 cents or 11 cents. You can make 12 cents (3 four cent stamps) or 13 cents (one 9 cent stamp and one 4 cent stamp).
The question is asking you to show that, for some number k, ALL number from k+ 1 up CAN be made by combinations of 4 and 9: 4n+ 9m for some integers n and m.

What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical structures that are countable or can be enumerated. It includes topics such as set theory, logic, combinatorics, and graph theory.

Why is discrete math important?

Discrete math is important because it provides the foundation for many areas of computer science and modern technology. It is used in algorithms, data structures, cryptography, and many other fields.

What are some real-world applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has many applications in real life, such as in computer networking, data analysis, scheduling, and optimization problems. It is also used in economics, biology, and social sciences.

Is discrete math difficult to learn?

Discrete math can be challenging for some people as it involves abstract concepts and logical reasoning. However, with practice and understanding of the fundamentals, it can be mastered by anyone.

How can I improve my understanding of discrete math?

The best way to improve your understanding of discrete math is to practice solving problems and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also helpful to study related topics such as logic and proofs.