Discrete Math Proof: Necessary Condition for Divisibility by 6

In summary: Just say "let 3k = t, t ∈ ℤ." That's all you need.In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the necessary condition of an integer being divisible by 6, which is being divisible by 2. The proof involves assuming 6|n and using the definition of divisibility to show that n is even and therefore divisible by 2. The conversation also includes a discussion on keeping proofs concise and eliminating unnecessary information.
in the rye

Homework Statement

We have JUST started writing proofs recently, and I am a little bit doubtful in my abilities in doing this, so I just want to verify that my proof actually works. I was expecting this one to be a lot longer since the previous 2 were. I don't see any glaring flaws in it, but I'd just like to be sure (writing these feel awkward since this is my first proof base course):

A necessary condition for an integer to be divisible by 6 is that it is divisible by 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume true.

Pf./
[For all integers n, if n is divisible by 6, then n is divisible by 2]. Assume 6|n, n ∈ ℤ. By definition, n = 6k, k ∈ ℤ. Consider that n = 2(3k). See that 3k ∈ ℤ has closure by multiplication of the set of integers, and let 3k = t, t ∈ ℤ. Notice n is even since n = (3k) = 2t. Therefore, 2|n. QED.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
in the rye said:

Homework Statement

We have JUST started writing proofs recently, and I am a little bit doubtful in my abilities in doing this, so I just want to verify that my proof actually works. I was expecting this one to be a lot longer since the previous 2 were. I don't see any glaring flaws in it, but I'd just like to be sure (writing these feel awkward since this is my first proof base course):

A necessary condition for an integer to be divisible by 6 is that it is divisible by 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume true.

Pf./
[For all integers n, if n is divisible by 6, then n is divisible by 2]. Assume 6|n, n ∈ ℤ. By definition, n = 6k, k ∈ ℤ.
n = 6k = 2*3k, so n is even, hence is divisible by 2. That's really all you need to say.
in the rye said:
Consider that n = 2(3k). See that 3k ∈ ℤ has closure by multiplication of the set of integers, and let 3k = t, t ∈ ℤ. Notice n is even since n = (3k) = 2t. Therefore, 2|n. QED.

Mark44 said:
n = 6k = 2*3k, so n is even, hence is divisible by 2. That's really all you need to say.
Thanks. I'm having trouble being too wordy because I feel like I need to cover my basis. Do you have any general tips to proof reading (no pun intended) proofs?

in the rye said:
Thanks. I'm having trouble being too wordy because I feel like I need to cover my basis. Do you have any general tips to proof reading (no pun intended) proofs?
"Keep it as simple as possible, but no simpler." I don't know how much help that is, but if you have trouble being too wordy (as you said), see if you have extra baggage in there that isn't needed. In you proof you have this sentence: "See that 3k ∈ ℤ has closure by multiplication of the set of integers, and let 3k = t, t ∈ ℤ." It's completely unnecessary.

1. What is discrete math proof?

Discrete math proof is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of discrete objects and their properties. It involves the use of logic and mathematical reasoning to prove the truth or validity of a statement.

2. Why is discrete math proof important?

Discrete math proof is important because it allows us to formally prove the correctness of mathematical statements and arguments. It is essential in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and engineering.

3. What are the basic elements of a discrete math proof?

The basic elements of a discrete math proof are axioms, definitions, theorems, and logical reasoning. Axioms are self-evident statements that are accepted as true. Definitions provide clear and unambiguous meanings for mathematical terms. Theorems are statements that have been proven to be true, and logical reasoning is used to connect and validate each step of a proof.

4. How do I approach solving a discrete math proof?

When approaching a discrete math proof, it is essential to carefully read and understand the problem. Identify any given information and the desired outcome. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. Use logical reasoning and previously proven theorems to make connections and arrive at a solution.

5. Are there any tips for writing a clear and concise discrete math proof?

Yes, there are a few tips for writing a clear and concise discrete math proof. First, make sure to use precise and unambiguous language. Use correct notation and clearly define any symbols or variables used. Additionally, clearly state any assumptions or axioms used in the proof. Finally, organize your proof logically and make sure to provide a clear conclusion at the end.