Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: DISCRETE MATH: Which of these compound propositions is satisfiable? No use truthtable

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is this compound statement satisfiable?

[tex](p\,\vee\,q\,\vee\,\neg\,r)\,\wedge\,(p\,\vee\,\neg\,q\,\vee\,\neg\,s)\,\wedge\,(p\,\vee\,\neg\,r\,\vee\,\neg\,s)\,\wedge\,(\neg\,p\,\vee\,\neg\,q\,\vee\,\neg\,s)\,\wedge\,(p\,\vee\,q\,\vee\,\neg\,s)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I guess you are supposed to use the following instead of truth tables somehow:

Logical equivalences - Domination, Idempotent, Double negation, Commutative, De Morgan's, Absorption, Negation, Associate, Distributive.

3. The attempt at a solution

I "converted" the first term in the expression:

[tex](p\,\vee\,q\,\vee\,\neg\,r)\,\equiv\,\left[(\neg\,p\,\longrightarrow\,q)\,\vee\,\neg\,r\right][/tex]

Now what do I do though?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2
    I figured it out!

It was simple.

The equation is satifiable.

Set p = TRUE and q = FALSE. Since it is all OR logical connectives, it was simple to find these values which make the statement true.

4. Jan 18, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I really hope you didn't just try things at random. Just use those laws above. It is quite straight forward.

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4
    Re: DISCRETE MATH: Which of these compound propositions is satisfiable? No use trutht

can you "VinnyCee" answer this with some explanations

*Is this compound statment is satisfiable/why?

(b) (¬p ∨ ¬q ∨ r) ∧ (¬p ∨ q ∨ ¬s) ∧ (p ∨ ¬q ∨ ¬s) ∧
    (¬p ∨ ¬r∨ ¬s)∧ (p ∨ q ∨ ¬r)(¬p ∨ ¬r∨ s)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook