Discrete Probability: Mean Number of Red Bulb Non-Failure Cycles

In summary: Yes.The probability that the bulb operates for n cycles without failure is P(No Fail)^n = (1-pR)nYes, but that is without stipulating what happens next. I.e. it's probability of at least n cycles without failure...So then E(N)=Σ(n*(1-pR)n)... but here you have used it as though it is the prob of exactly n cycles.Yes.OK, but my original question still stands. I can see two possible scenarios:(1) The unit keeps functioning until all its lights fail, in which case the distribution of the number of cycles until red fails will be given by
Astudious

Homework Statement

A traffic signal operates in the following cyclic regime: amber (A) light for 5 seconds,
then red (R) for 30 seconds, then amber again for 5 seconds, then green (G) for 40 seconds
(thus making a cycle ARAG), and then in the cyclic manner, i.e. ARAGARAG... .

Let us assume that the amber, green and red bulbs can fail every time they switch on
with independent probabilities pA, pG and pR, respectively.

What is the mean number of cycles of non-failure operation of the red bulb?

Homework Equations

I suppose the E(X)=Σ(x*P(X=x)) over all valid x is probably relevant here.

The Attempt at a Solution

The probability that the bulb operates for n cycles without failure is P(No Fail)^n = (1-pR)n. So then E(N)=Σ(n*(1-pR)n) where n is summed from 0 to infinity perhaps? But I wouldn't be able to reduce this (and from the solution, it isn't right anyway ...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Astudious said:

Homework Statement

A traffic signal operates in the following cyclic regime: amber (A) light for 5 seconds,
then red (R) for 30 seconds, then amber again for 5 seconds, then green (G) for 40 seconds
(thus making a cycle ARAG), and then in the cyclic manner, i.e. ARAGARAG... .

Let us assume that the amber, green and red bulbs can fail every time they switch on
with independent probabilities pA, pG and pR, respectively.

What is the mean number of cycles of non-failure operation of the red bulb?

Homework Equations

I suppose the E(X)=Σ(x*P(X=x)) over all valid x is probably relevant here.

The Attempt at a Solution

The probability that the bulb operates for n cycles without failure is P(No Fail)^n = (1-pR)n. So then E(N)=Σ(n*(1-pR)n) where n is summed from 0 to infinity perhaps? But I wouldn't be able to reduce this (and from the solution, it isn't right anyway ...)

Please clarify: what happens when a colored bulb fails? Does the unit continue to function--but using only the other, non-failed bulbs--or does it stop functioning altogether when any of its bulbs fails? If it does continue to operate, does it just "by-pass" the failed bulb, or does it still occupy the time of the failed bulb, but without light? For example, if the first Amber fails (but the unit keeps operating) does that collapse to a RAGRAG... situation with each cycle shortened by the missing 5 seconds, or does it remain at BRAGBRAG..., where now B = blank (lasting 5 sec)?

Ray Vickson said:
Please clarify: what happens when a colored bulb fails? Does the unit continue to function--but using only the other, non-failed bulbs--or does it stop functioning altogether when any of its bulbs fails? If it does continue to operate, does it just "by-pass" the failed bulb, or does it still occupy the time of the failed bulb, but without light? For example, if the first Amber fails (but the unit keeps operating) does that collapse to a RAGRAG... situation with each cycle shortened by the missing 5 seconds, or does it remain at BRAGBRAG..., where now B = blank (lasting 5 sec)?
I believe there is only one Amber bulb.
I read the question as referring to cycles of the red bulb, so at this stage what the other bulbs are doing is irrelevant. I assume this is one part of a multipart question. Astudious, can you confirm that?

haruspex said:
I believe there is only one Amber bulb.
I read the question as referring to cycles of the red bulb, so at this stage what the other bulbs are doing is irrelevant. I assume this is one part of a multipart question. Astudious, can you confirm that?

Yes.

Astudious said:
The probability that the bulb operates for n cycles without failure is P(No Fail)^n = (1-pR)n
Yes, but that is without stipulating what happens next. I.e. it's probability of at least n cycles without failure...
Astudious said:
So then E(N)=Σ(n*(1-pR)n)
... but here you have used it as though it is the prob of exactly n cycles.

Astudious said:
Yes.

OK, but my original question still stands. I can see two possible scenarios:
(1) The unit keeps functioning until all its lights fail, in which case the distribution of the number of cycles until red fails will be given by some probability distribution A.
(2) The unit functions only as long as none of the lights have failed, and in that case the distribution of the number of cycles until red fails (if ever) is some other probability distribution, B. (In that case, "red fails" = "red no longer shines" = "anything fails".)

My guess is that he/she means (1), but asking for clarification does no harm.

1. What is discrete probability?

Discrete probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of events that have a finite or countable number of outcomes. It is used to calculate the probability of events in situations where the outcomes are known and can be counted.

2. How is the mean number of red bulb non-failure cycles calculated?

The mean number of red bulb non-failure cycles is calculated by multiplying the probability of a red bulb not failing by the total number of cycles. This can be expressed as: Mean Number = Probability of Non-Failure x Total Number of Cycles.

3. What does the mean number of red bulb non-failure cycles represent?

The mean number of red bulb non-failure cycles represents the average number of cycles that a red bulb will not fail. It is a measure of the expected number of successful cycles before a failure occurs.

4. How is discrete probability used in real-life situations?

Discrete probability is used in many real-life situations, such as in gambling, insurance, and business decision-making. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of a stock market crash or the likelihood of a sports team winning a game.

5. What factors can affect the mean number of red bulb non-failure cycles?

The mean number of red bulb non-failure cycles can be affected by various factors, such as the quality of the bulbs, the conditions they are used in, and the maintenance of the bulbs. Additionally, the total number of cycles and the probability of non-failure can also impact the mean number of cycles.