What is a discrete-space derivative?

• Thread starter WhiteRae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, a discrete space derivative is a derivative that is generalized to cases where the smallest possible difference between two different values of a discrete variable x is a constant.
WhiteRae
I was looking up how to find the derivative of a factorial and found this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=1328

What is a discrete-space derivative? I tried looking it up, but had no luck. If someone could explain it in a way someone in calc 2 could understand that would be great, or at least point me in the direction of more information.

Physics news on Phys.org
A discrete space is a space where all subsets are open. I have never heard of a discrete space derivative, however.

Have you heard of the gamma function? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function
Take a look at how it relates to the factorial function. It does take a lot of work to understand if you're only at the first year level in math.

I was looking at the Gamma Function. I understood it a little bit, but in general it was way over my head.

WhiteRae said:
What is a discrete-space derivative? I tried looking it up, but had no luck. If someone could explain it in a way someone in calc 2 could understand that would be great, or at least point me in the direction of more information.

The general idea is that the more familiar continuous space derivative,

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\lim_{\Delta x\to 0}\frac{f(x+\Delta x)-f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

Can be generalized in cases where the smallest possible difference between two different values of a discrete variable [itex]x[/itex] is a constant (in other words, all elements of the set are equally spaced) [itex]\delta x[/itex] according to the equation

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{f(x+\delta x)-f(x)}{\delta x}[/tex]

(For a continuous space, [itex]\delta x[/itex] is infinitesimally small)

If [itex]x[/itex] is only allowed to be a natural number, then the smallest diffence between two different values of x is 1, and so

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=f(x+1)-f(x)[/tex]

Whether or not this is really the type of derivative you are interested in depends on the context of your problem.

1. What is a discrete-space derivative?

A discrete-space derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable in a discrete space. It is calculated by taking the difference between two adjacent points in the function and dividing it by the distance between those points.

2. How is a discrete-space derivative different from a traditional derivative?

A traditional derivative is calculated in a continuous space, where the input variable can take on any value. A discrete-space derivative, on the other hand, is calculated in a discrete space, where the input variable can only take on certain values. This means that the discrete-space derivative is only an approximation of the traditional derivative.

3. What is the significance of a discrete-space derivative?

A discrete-space derivative is important in areas such as computer science, engineering, and physics where data is often collected and analyzed in discrete units. It allows us to approximate the rate of change of a function at specific points, which can provide valuable insights and aid in problem-solving.

4. How is a discrete-space derivative calculated?

To calculate a discrete-space derivative, you need to choose two adjacent points in the function, find the difference between their y-values, and then divide that by the distance between the two points. This can be represented as (f(x+h)-f(x))/h, where h is the distance between the two points.

5. What are some common applications of discrete-space derivatives?

Discrete-space derivatives are used in many fields, including signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. They are also commonly used in computer algorithms, such as gradient descent, that require the calculation of a function's rate of change at specific points.