1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discretion and harmonic amplitude

1. Nov 9, 2013 #1
    What's the relationship between DFT and harmonic amplitude? How do I find the harmonic amplitude using discrete fourier transform? Here's what I have done so far. "harm.freq" is harmonic frequency here.
    I have done the DFT calculation and now what? Aftet I have performed DFT, how do I find the amplitude of the harmonic wave? Below on post #6 is the formula and I have to plot the graph using excel based on the table given.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2013 #2
    The following summary addresses how:

http://www.fpv.umb.sk/kat/kf/Integrovana_prirodoveda/TG/Zvuk/Zvuk_kmitanie/www.me.psu.edu/me82/Learning/FFT/FFT.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Nov 9, 2013 #3
    I have read the whole thing but it doesn't show how to calculate the amplitude.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Nov 9, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where did you do the DFT?
    What is the relation between t and frequency?
    The DFT gives two amplitude components for the cos and sin contribution, the total amplitude is just the root of the sum of squares of both.

6. Nov 9, 2013 #5
    That's the formula I used and the calculation is done with excel. Look at the cell O6, that's the value after DFT. I am required to use this formula and I have to plot a graph based on this table given.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  7. Nov 9, 2013 #6
    That's why I did, in the cell where I wrote "discretized" in cell O6, is the root of the sum of squares of both cos and sin contribution . The DFT is 3.030972661. Now how can I plot the amplitude? If that number is the amplitude, then how come I can plot a graph if it's only ONE number? Please look at my reply above this post.

8. Nov 9, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The amplitude for a specific frequency is a single number. For every frequency, you should get such a number.

9. Nov 9, 2013 #8
    Ok, so the 3.030972661 is the amplitude for what frequency? 50hz I suppose? And what is the table with α,β and k for?

10. Nov 10, 2013 #9
    your excel spreadsheet is incorrect
    you should be calculating a DFT (which is the harmonic amplitude) for each k value per the formula they told you to use
    the α,β values were used to determine the applicable k values they wanted you to use evidentally (which i am very skeptical of initially, but i'll trust you on this that that is what the teacher wants you to do)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted