Plotting the waveforms of the harmonic components

In summary: And it's nice to see that kibara does his own thinking. The right formula is of course =SIN(A3*PI()/60+1.2)*14.14 (and that's what you get when you use your own formula !)In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with plotting harmonics in Excel. The person is having trouble plotting the 3rd and 5th harmonic with a different frequency. The equations for the harmonics are provided and a solution using Excel is suggested, taking into account the angular frequencies and phase shifts. The person is then able to successfully plot the harmonics on a graph using Excel.
kibara

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I am currently experiencing a problem plotting harmonics in Excel.
I'm only able to plot the fundamental wave properly, I can't figure out how to plot the 3rd and 5th harmonic as they have a different frequency. Can you point me in the right direction, please...

Homework Equations

vf=141.44sin(240*PI*t) - fundamental
v3=28.29sin(720*PI*t) - 3rd harmonic
v5=14.14sin(1200*PI*t - 1.2*180/PI) - 5th harmonic

The Attempt at a Solution

Excel equation for vf
Degrees 0 to 360 (interval of 15) Column A2 to A26
=SIN(A2*PI()/180)*141.44
By using the above values I'm able to obtain a scatter plot but for the 3/T and 5/T the above does not work
I know that T=0.0083s not sure what else to add at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello kibara, :welcome:

If in column A you plot from 0 to 360, then your independent variable is not time, but the phase (in, o horror, degrees :wink:).

So in column C you want
=SIN(3*A2*PI()/180)*28.29 and not
=SIN(3 /0.0083 *A2*PI()/180)*28.29

upload_2018-6-3_0-55-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-3_0-55-44.png
    upload_2018-6-3_0-55-44.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 538
Likes kibara
Your fundamental has an angular frequency of
[tex]\omega_f = 240\pi [/tex]
divided by whatever is your time unit. You are rescaling to degree angle measure. The relation, in radians is:
[tex] \theta = \omega_f \cdot t[/tex]
but you are then converting to degrees. Note that [itex]1^\circ = \frac{2\pi}{180}[/itex] which means you can treat the degree symbol itself as this number.
So your A2 through A26 entries are values of:
[tex]\theta^\circ = \frac{2\pi \omega_f}{180}\cdot t[/tex]
You are then converting these back into radians within your trigonometric function: SIN(A2*PI()/180)*141.44 = [itex]141.44 \sin(\omega_f t)[/itex]
You want to then change the frequency (and amplitude) for your harmonics and so you want to first divide out the old frequency and then multiply by the new one:
[tex]\sin(\omega_n t) = \sin(\frac{\omega_n}{\omega_f}\cdot \omega_f t)[/tex]
which means you need to add a factor of the ration of the angular frequencies to your trig function:
Note that [itex]\omega_3 = 720\pi[/itex] and so [itex]\omega_3/\omega_f = 720/240 = 3[/itex]. That's why it's the 3rd harmonic. So add a factor of 3 in your trig function:

SIN(3*A2*PI()/180)*28.29 would be the entry for angle in A2.

I am sorry to take the long way around to this simple answer but the steps are those you should, yourself, take when translating your problem to the excel spread sheet.
Doing so should make the answer to your question relatively clear to you from the start.

Likes kibara
Good morning Everyone (if European time)

Thanking you kindly for your help. I can see the solution is relatively easy. I now plotted my graph using Excel. BvU seems that you missed v5 phase shift.

for v3 I used =SIN(3*A3*PI()/180)*28.29 , =SIN(A3*PI()/60)*28.29 works fine too.

for v5 I used =Sin(w5t-1.2*180/PI)*14.14

gvKUyJ

https://ibb.co/gvKUyJ

Have a great Sunday ! :)

kibara said:
BvU seems that you missed v5 phase shift.
Well observed ! Demonstrates to me that you master this exercise :wink: !

What is the purpose of plotting the waveforms of the harmonic components?

The purpose of plotting the waveforms of the harmonic components is to visually represent the different frequency components that make up a complex waveform. This allows for a better understanding of the characteristics and behavior of the waveform.

What equipment is needed to plot the waveforms of the harmonic components?

To plot the waveforms of the harmonic components, specialized equipment such as a function generator, oscilloscope, and spectrum analyzer may be needed. These instruments are used to generate, measure, and analyze the different frequency components of a waveform.

How do you interpret the results of a plot of the waveforms of the harmonic components?

The results of a plot of the waveforms of the harmonic components can be interpreted by looking at the amplitude and frequency of each component. The amplitude represents the strength of the component, while the frequency represents the number of cycles per second. Additionally, the phase relationship between the different components can also provide valuable information about the waveform.

What are some common applications of plotting the waveforms of the harmonic components?

Plotting the waveforms of the harmonic components is commonly used in fields such as electrical engineering, acoustics, and signal processing. It can be used to analyze and troubleshoot electronic circuits, design audio equipment, and study the characteristics of different types of signals such as sound or electromagnetic waves.

Are there any limitations to plotting the waveforms of the harmonic components?

Yes, there are some limitations to plotting the waveforms of the harmonic components. These include the frequency range of the equipment being used, the accuracy and precision of the measurements, and the presence of noise in the signal. Additionally, the complexity of the waveform and the number of harmonic components may also affect the accuracy of the results.