Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dispersion relation of a transmission line - questions

1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I have transmission line with dispersion relation ω=sin(kx), so then means that for one value of ω I have two values of k. I apply voltage with some frequency with is allowed to move in the line. First question is, how can I influence what k will be generated inside the line. The another question is, if there is somehow possible to generate a wave not with generating frequency ω like in the first example but to generate wavelength, basically k.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only way to change k without changing the line construction is to vary ω.

4. Apr 17, 2016 #3
    and I see from dispersion formula that each ω has two k, so what key will be inside the line, and how can I switch is for another one.

5. Apr 17, 2016 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you using a lumped-element model (discrete L's and C's) for the transmission line?

6. Apr 19, 2016 #5
    Yes

7. Apr 19, 2016 #6

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are seeing the effects of aliasing, as it is called in digital signal processing. It arises in any discrete or sampled system. In the present case, you can't see a continuous sine wave travel down your transmission line model because voltage is defined (sampled) at only a finite number of points--namely across each capacitor, if it's a low-pass transmission line. For spatial frequencies above a certain maximum k_0, the pattern of sampled voltages looks the same as that for a lower frequency--that is, two values of k appear to have the same ω. As a result, there is no point in considering the upper, degenerate part of the k spectrum. It is conventional to limit the argument of sin to the range 0 to π/2. This is called the "reduced zone."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted