1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dispersion relations question

1. Nov 20, 2004 #1
    So here are my questions

If z(w)= R + iw/c, then 1/z = 1/(R + iw/c)

Where does 1/z have singularities? I mean, there doesn't appear to be a point where R= -iw/c since R is real and the other term is imaginary.

And how do I show the Real and Imaginary parts of 1/z are related by dispersion relations? And do I have to close the contour in the upper or lower half plane for this derivation.

It seems to me that what I am looking for is a derivation of the Hilbert transformations, but get at me if you have any suggestions as to what I should do.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the title of your post includes "dispersion relations" it would appear to me that you are misstating the problem. Generally I would think that [itex]R = R(\omega)[/itex] and your "iw" term is really a product of [itex]\omega[/itex] with a damping rate [itex]\nu[/itex] or somesuch. If that is the case then R will have complex zeros.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?