Dispersion relations question

In summary, the conversation discusses the function z(w) and its inverse, 1/z, which has singularities when R = -iw/c. The speaker also mentions their goal of deriving the Hilbert transformations and asks for clarification on the role of dispersion relations. They question the possibility of complex zeros for R, which may be a function of \omega and a damping rate \nu.
Ed Quanta
So here are my questions

If z(w)= R + iw/c, then 1/z = 1/(R + iw/c)

Where does 1/z have singularities? I mean, there doesn't appear to be a point where R= -iw/c since R is real and the other term is imaginary.

And how do I show the Real and Imaginary parts of 1/z are related by dispersion relations? And do I have to close the contour in the upper or lower half plane for this derivation.

It seems to me that what I am looking for is a derivation of the Hilbert transformations, but get at me if you have any suggestions as to what I should do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the title of your post includes "dispersion relations" it would appear to me that you are misstating the problem. Generally I would think that [itex]R = R(\omega)[/itex] and your "iw" term is really a product of [itex]\omega[/itex] with a damping rate [itex]\nu[/itex] or somesuch. If that is the case then R will have complex zeros.

Hi there,

The function z(w) given in the question is a complex function, where R is the real part and iw/c is the imaginary part. In order to find the singularities of 1/z, we need to find the points where z(w) becomes infinite or undefined. In this case, we can see that z(w) becomes infinite when R = 0 and w = ±ic. Therefore, the singularities of 1/z are at w = ±ic.

To show the relation between the real and imaginary parts of 1/z, we can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations state that if a function is analytic (or differentiable) at a point, then its real and imaginary parts must satisfy certain conditions. In this case, we can show that the real and imaginary parts of 1/z satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which implies that they are related by dispersion relations.

In order to derive the Hilbert transformations, we need to consider a contour integral in the complex plane. This integral is usually closed in the upper or lower half plane, depending on the function being integrated. So, in this case, you can choose to close the contour in either the upper or lower half plane, depending on the specific problem you are trying to solve.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything.

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of waves in a medium. It relates the wave's frequency to its wavelength and the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity.

2. What is the importance of dispersion relations in science?

Dispersion relations are important in understanding the behavior of waves in various mediums, such as sound waves, light waves, and electromagnetic waves. They also play a crucial role in fields such as optics, acoustics, and seismology.

3. How are dispersion relations derived?

Dispersion relations are derived using a combination of experimental data and theoretical models. Scientists use various mathematical techniques, such as Fourier analysis and differential equations, to describe the behavior of waves in a medium.

4. Can dispersion relations be used to predict the properties of a medium?

Yes, dispersion relations can be used to predict the properties of a medium, such as its refractive index, speed of sound, and elastic modulus. By analyzing the dispersion relation, scientists can determine how a wave will behave in a given medium.

5. Are there different types of dispersion relations?

Yes, there are different types of dispersion relations, depending on the type of wave and the properties of the medium. The most common types are linear dispersion relations, which describe waves in a homogeneous medium, and non-linear dispersion relations, which describe waves in a non-uniform medium.