Displacement and conduction currents

In summary: That said, it's an interesting observation that the two modes of current might be seen in Maxwell's equations as two different types of E-fields, and that treating current as a E-field might make sense even in a static field context.
TrickyDicky
One thing that I don't intuitively get about these currents is that in the conduction current the electric field is supposed to be static at each point of the conductor(there is no assumption of current intensity change), whilst the displacement current is defined as a varying electric field, the assumption is made of building up and decreasing electric fields, both current types producing a magnetic field and both being computed and measured in terms of Amperes(C/s) i.e. a steady current intensity.
Why is not the conduction current also thought of as a time-varying E field?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess that you mean in Ampere's law ## c\nabla\times\mathbf{B}=\mathbf{J}+\partial_t\mathbf{E} ## it seems like ## \mathbf{J} ## and ## \partial_t\mathbf{E} ## are on completely equal footing. So why do we speak of ## \partial_t\mathbf{E} ## as a sort of ## \mathbf{J} ## but never seem to speak of ## \mathbf{J} ## as a sort of ## \partial_t\mathbf{E} ##. Is that what you are asking?

DaleSpam said:
I guess that you mean in Ampere's law ## c\nabla\times\mathbf{B}=\mathbf{J}+\partial_t\mathbf{E} ## it seems like ## \mathbf{J} ## and ## \partial_t\mathbf{E} ## are on completely equal footing. So why do we speak of ## \partial_t\mathbf{E} ## as a sort of ## \mathbf{J} ## but never seem to speak of ## \mathbf{J} ## as a sort of ## \partial_t\mathbf{E} ##. Is that what you are asking?
Yes. That's what I'm basically asking.

I know it can be answered by saying that it is unnecessary since the problem that Maxwell detected in Ampere's law is solved with the part about the displacement current resembling a conduction current, and moving charges are enough to justify the magnetic field appearance anyway in Ampere's law, but I would say symmetry reasons and logic seem to demand that regular currents be understood in terms of time-varying E-fields too.
Historical reasons made that when Maxwell wrote the equations the distinction had to be made between the 2 types of current, my question is what are the modern reasons to keep it, assuming there is not some deep conceptual error in my logic(wouldn't be surprising :rolleyes:), in which case I'd like to have it explained.

I don't see any error in your reasoning nor do I have a good explanation. It does indeed seem like an odd artifact of terminology.

On the other hand, treating current as a time varying E field would be strange when you have a conductor with a static E field, but it would seem that you should be able to do just that.

A capacitor is often cited as an example where the changing E is in some sense understandable as a current. I wonder if there is a simple scenario where the reverse is true.

One thought that I just had. In more concise formulations of Maxwell's equations the problem goes away. You get instead equations like ##\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=J^{\nu}## where the E and B terms are together and the J is on its own. In that formulation you probably wouldn't call a component of the left hand side a displacement current, so the fact that you don't call a current a displacement E-field goes away too.

Interesting comments, thanks. The tensorial formulation certainly helps seeing it in a different light.

Being personally slanted towards the GR view, I tend to consider static fields as useful but idealized approximations, and to see all fields as dynamical.

What is the difference between displacement and conduction currents?

Displacement currents refer to the flow of electric charge that occurs in regions of space where no physical charges are present, such as in a capacitor. Conduction currents, on the other hand, occur in materials where physical charges can move, such as in a metal wire.

What is the significance of displacement and conduction currents?

Displacement and conduction currents play a crucial role in the propagation of electromagnetic waves. Displacement currents are responsible for producing magnetic fields, while conduction currents produce electric fields. Together, they create an electromagnetic wave that can travel through space.

How are displacement and conduction currents related to each other?

Displacement and conduction currents are closely related to each other. In fact, displacement currents were first introduced by James Clerk Maxwell to explain the observed behavior of conduction currents in a capacitor. They are both essential components of the electromagnetic wave equation.

What factors affect the magnitude of displacement and conduction currents?

The magnitude of displacement and conduction currents is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the size and shape of the conductor, and the material properties of the medium. Higher electric fields and larger conductors generally result in larger current magnitudes.

How do displacement and conduction currents impact the design of electrical systems?

Displacement and conduction currents must be taken into account when designing electrical systems, especially those that involve high-frequency signals. These currents can cause unwanted interference and must be properly managed to ensure the system functions correctly. In some cases, special components, such as capacitors, may need to be included in the design to control these currents.