Disproving perpetual energy and perpetual motion machines.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Ward
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I was having a discussion with somebody who was trying to convince me of these things which I don’t believe.
However I kept trying to think of the physics laws that make these things impossible.

To my mind came resistance and friction. But I feel there are other science laws that I have missed.

Some law of thermodynamics comes to mind.

What terms and laws have I missed so I am even better prepared for next time

Plus any great articles that you can recommend to read.

Thanks
Ward
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Perpetual motion machines violate the laws of thermodynamics as you can always find places where energy is disappated in either friction or air resistance or resistance to a magnetic field...

Here's some examples:

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2018/12/03/six_perpetual_motion_machines_and_why_none_of_them_work.html

and here's some discussion on why they fail:

https://futurism.com/what-physics-says-about-perpetual-motion-machines-free-energy-r
Lastly, there was a mischievous physicist in England, Prof David Jones who developed machines that appeared to be perpetual motion machines and challenged folks to figure out how they worked.



https://blogs.royalsociety.org/history-of-science/2018/09/25/perpetual-motion/
https://www.wired.com/story/the-physics-of-a-puzzling-perpetual-motion-machine/
https://www.wired.com/2016/04/physics-behind-another-bogus-perpetual-motion-machine/
You can find more online via Google.

Closing this thread now since we no longer discuss perpetual motion on PF.
 
Last edited: