Distance as function of velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the function x(v) given the equation a = -g[1+(v/vt)2]. Suggestions are made to use the inverse function t(v) to substitute into the integrated expression for x(t) in order to solve for x(v). Further discussion involves integrating and simplifying the equation to solve for v and considering the constant nature of terminal velocity.
E&M

Homework Statement

Given that a = -g[1+(v/vt)2]

where,
v = velocity of an object
vt = terminal velocity
find x(v)

Homework Equations

v = dx/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

i started from a = dv/dt = dv/dx . dx/dt. but could not go to x(v)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If 'g' is meant to be acceleration due to gravity, then I should point out that the right hand side of your equation for v doesn't have dimensions of velocity.

Anyway, to solve for x(v), notice that if you have v(t), then you should be able to figure out its inverse function t(v). That way, once you have solved for x(t) by integrating, you can substitute t(v) into it in order to get x(t(v)) = x(v).

oh yeah my bad. It's v_dot, or acceleration.

E&M said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i started from a = dv/dt = dv/dx . dx/dt. but could not go to x(v)
Need a bit more detail of what you did. So you had

[tex]v \frac{dv}{dx} = -g[1+(v/v_t)^2][/tex]

Then what?

at this point, i think i can ignore v. dv/dx and simply write a = dv/dt. I integrated after that which gave me an expression for v.

v = -gt - g/(vt)2 [tex]\int[/tex]v2dt

b/c terminal velocity is a constant, i pulled it out of the integral.

1. What is the formula for calculating distance as a function of velocity?

The formula for distance as a function of velocity is d = v * t, where d represents distance, v represents velocity, and t represents time.

2. How does an increase or decrease in velocity affect the distance traveled?

An increase in velocity will result in a greater distance traveled in the same amount of time, while a decrease in velocity will result in a shorter distance traveled in the same amount of time.

3. Can distance be calculated if velocity is not constant?

Yes, distance can still be calculated if velocity is not constant. The formula for distance as a function of velocity assumes a constant velocity, but if the velocity changes over time, the distance can be calculated by dividing the time interval into smaller intervals and calculating the distance for each interval.

4. How is distance as a function of velocity used in real-world applications?

Distance as a function of velocity is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, determining the speed of a vehicle, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile.

5. Can distance be negative when using the formula for distance as a function of velocity?

No, distance cannot be negative when using the formula for distance as a function of velocity. Distance is a measure of the total length traveled, so it cannot be negative. However, the velocity can be negative if the direction of motion changes.