Distance independence of electric field strength

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
SquidgyGuff
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
I was just wondering why the strength of the electric fields of insulating surface charges like sheets and shells aren't dependent on the distance from the charge according to Gauss's Law?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
Maybe the diagram and discussion following this post (particularly post #12) will help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electron-between-parallel-plates.820676/#post-5151253

It's written in terms of the electric force on a charge (a proton) near the plate, not the electric field, but the basic idea is the same.
But Gauss's Law does give the equation for the electric field right? I'm trying to find the electric potential near a spherical shell of charge but in order to find that I need to be able to take the line integral with respect to r (the distance), but that would give me (q/epsilon naught)r. And that doesn't seem right.