1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distinguishing Between CO2 and Ar

1. Oct 19, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

[SOLVED] Distinguishing Between CO2 and Ar

Explain how you would distinguish between argon gas and carbon dioxide gas

My first thought was to boil some water to remove any dissolved gases, and then pass the two gases through samples of the water. The CO2 would react to form a weak solution of carbonic acid, while the argon does nothing. The formation of carbonic acid could be identified with the use of a suitable indicator.

On second thought, id probably pass the gases through limewater and watch for the formation of a precipitate, however, in an exam, i probably would have ended up leaving my first answer.

My question is: Is my first method correct, would it work? And would it be practical?

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe it would...

4. Oct 19, 2007 #3

danago

Gold Member

Alright, thanks :smile:

5. Oct 20, 2007 #4
    the best method would be limewater though.....

only about 1% of the dissolved CO2 exists as carbonic acid, and i'm wondering if the indicator would be able to detect that.

i'd rather do the limewater test.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?