1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining of two gases within an airflow

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    not really a question, just stuck with something.
    An airflow of 300 CFM has a contains 0.0387% CO2 (carbon dioxide-naturally occurring in air) flows through two ends of an rectangular open container from an exhaust fan located at the bottom.

Within the container 100% CO2 can be added through a controllable valve. This air will mix instantly with the passing .0387 300CFM airflow.

How much CFM of the 100%CO2 is required to add to the airflow to create a mixture of gases that = 0.5% CO2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried setting up a simple addition formula:

[(300CFM)/(.0387% CO2)] + [(x)/(100% CO2)] = (300+XCFM)/?

I'm not sure if this is even close to being right, even if it is...i don't remember how to find the new percentage of CO2 after adding a certain volume.

Maybe if the air was constant it would be easier for me...i just can't get my head around the whole "flowing" concept.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let 'x' be the airflow of 100% CO2 added. The airflow of CO2 due to the fan is 300 CFM (ft^3/min) times 0.0387%. The total airflow after the addition of the 100% CO2 will be 300 + x. 5% of that is the concentration of CO2 after the addition. The same amount of air + 100% CO2 enters the chamber as exits. Solve for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook