Combining of two gases within an airflow

In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of 100% CO2 airflow needed to be added to a 300 CFM airflow with 0.0387% CO2 to create a mixture with 0.5% CO2. Using a simple addition formula and considering the airflow of CO2 due to the fan, the solution can be solved for by setting the concentration of CO2 after the addition to 5% and equating the total airflow before and after the addition.
sciencegen

Homework Statement

not really a question, just stuck with something.
An airflow of 300 CFM has a contains 0.0387% CO2 (carbon dioxide-naturally occurring in air) flows through two ends of an rectangular open container from an exhaust fan located at the bottom.

Within the container 100% CO2 can be added through a controllable valve. This air will mix instantly with the passing .0387 300CFM airflow.

How much CFM of the 100%CO2 is required to add to the airflow to create a mixture of gases that = 0.5% CO2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting up a simple addition formula:

[(300CFM)/(.0387% CO2)] + [(x)/(100% CO2)] = (300+XCFM)/?

I'm not sure if this is even close to being right, even if it is...i don't remember how to find the new percentage of CO2 after adding a certain volume.

Maybe if the air was constant it would be easier for me...i just can't get my head around the whole "flowing" concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let 'x' be the airflow of 100% CO2 added. The airflow of CO2 due to the fan is 300 CFM (ft^3/min) times 0.0387%. The total airflow after the addition of the 100% CO2 will be 300 + x. 5% of that is the concentration of CO2 after the addition. The same amount of air + 100% CO2 enters the chamber as exits. Solve for x.

1. How do gases combine within an airflow?

Gases combine within an airflow through a process called diffusion, which is the movement of molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.

2. What factors affect the combination of gases in an airflow?

The combination of gases in an airflow can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the properties of the gases themselves (such as molecular weight and solubility).

3. Can different gases combine within an airflow?

Yes, different gases can combine within an airflow through diffusion, as long as they are able to mix and are not chemically reactive with each other.

4. How does the combination of gases within an airflow impact air quality?

The combination of gases within an airflow can impact air quality by affecting the composition and concentration of gases in the air. This can have an effect on human health and the environment.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of gases that can combine within an airflow?

There is no specific limit to the amount of gases that can combine within an airflow, as it depends on various factors such as the size of the airflow and the properties of the gases involved.