Distributing the Product of Functions over Composition of Functions

In summary, Lee's discussion of pushforwards of F at p ... ... is as follows:F(p) is a point in $N$ such that $((f\cdot g)\circ F)(p) = (f\cdot g)(F(p))$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John M. Lee's book: Introduction to Smooth Manifolds ...

I am focused on Chapter 3: Tangent Vectors ...

I need some help in fully understanding Lee's definition and conversation on pushforwards of \(\displaystyle F\) at \(\displaystyle p\) ... ... (see Lee's conversation/discussion posted below ... ... )

Although the book is on differential topology, my question is essentially algebraic ...

Lee's definition and discussion of pushforwards of \(\displaystyle F \ : \ M \longrightarrow N \) is as follows (see page 66):View attachment 5327In the above discussion we read the following:

" ... ... \(\displaystyle (F_*X)(fg) = X((fg) \circ F)\)

= \(\displaystyle X((f \circ F) (g \circ F) ) \)

= ... ...

... ... "The above working by Lee implies that

\(\displaystyle (fg) \circ F = (f \circ F) (g \circ F)\)

but why is this true ... ?

Can someone help ...

Peter*** EDIT ***

Just thinking ... if R was an algebra of smooth functions with operations of addition and multiplication of functions and a 'multiplication' that was composition of functions ... then would multiplication of functions distribute over composition ... just a thought ... but I suspect a bit muddled ...

Maybe if one could justify that functions under product and composition of functions ... but you would have to assume the required distributivity anyway ...

Must be a more direct way ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Peter said:
I am reading John M. Lee's book: Introduction to Smooth Manifolds ...

The above working by Lee implies that

\(\displaystyle (fg) \circ F = (f \circ F) (g \circ F)\)

but why is this true ... ?

This is the result of the following computation: $((f\cdot g)\circ F)(p) = (f\cdot g)(F(p))=f(F(p))\cdot g(F(p)) = (f\circ F)(p)\cdot (g\circ F)(p)$. Since $p$ was arbitrary, $(f\cdot g)\circ F = (f\circ F)\cdot (g\circ F).$ Hope that helps! Let me know if there's still confusion.

GJA said:
Hi Peter,
This is the result of the following computation: $((f\cdot g)\circ F)(p) = (f\cdot g)(F(p))=f(F(p))\cdot g(F(p)) = (f\circ F)(p)\cdot (g\circ F)(p)$. Since $p$ was arbitrary, $(f\cdot g)\circ F = (f\circ F)\cdot (g\circ F).$ Hope that helps! Let me know if there's still confusion.
Thanks GJA ... appreciate your help ...

... but ... I need a further clarification ...Why, exactly is \(\displaystyle (f\cdot g)(F(p))=f(F(p))\cdot g(F(p))\)?

Can you explain ...?

Thanks again ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

I was trying to be explicit about multiplication using the "dot" versus the composition using the "circle."

The definition of function multiplication is given by $(f\cdot g)(x) := f(x)\cdot g(x).$

The definition of function composition is given by $(f\circ F)(x) := f(F(x)).$

Combining these two definitions gives the computation I presented in the previous post. Hope that helps!

GJA said:
Hi Peter,

I was trying to be explicit about multiplication using the "dot" versus the composition using the "circle."

The definition of function multiplication is given by $(f\cdot g)(x) := f(x)\cdot g(x).$

The definition of function composition is given by $(f\circ F)(x) := f(F(x)).$

Combining these two definitions gives the computation I presented in the previous post. Hope that helps!
Hi GJA ... yes, understand those two definitions ...

... but ... is the equation

\(\displaystyle (f\cdot g)(F(p))=f(F(p))\cdot g(F(p))\)

simply the result of applying the two definitions that you mention above ... ?It looks to me as if the \(\displaystyle \cdot\) is distributed over the \(\displaystyle \circ\) as follows:

\(\displaystyle (f\cdot g)(F(p)) = ( f \cdot g ) \circ F (p)\) ... ... ... ... (1) (just definition!/notation)then the "distribute \(\displaystyle \cdot\) over \(\displaystyle \circ\)" step:

\(\displaystyle ( f \cdot g ) \circ F (p) = f \circ F(p) \cdot g \circ F(p)\) ... ... ... (2)and then we have

\(\displaystyle f \circ F(p) \cdot g \circ F(p) = f(F(p) \cdot g(F(p)\) ... (3) (just definition/notation)
I understand equations (1) and (3) because they simply rest on the definitions you mention ... but I still fail to see why step (2) holds ... it does not seem to me to be just a matter of the definitions you mention ...

Can you help/clarify further ... ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

Let's try to simplify the notation by setting $x$ equal to the point $F(p)\in N$; i.e. let $x=F(p)$. Then we can write

$((f\cdot g)\circ F)(p) = (f\cdot g)(F(p)) = (f\cdot g)(x) = f(x)\cdot g(x)=f(F(p))\cdot g(F(p)) = (f\circ F)(p)\cdot (g\circ F)(p).$

The first equality follows from the definition of function composition, the second by our definition of $x$, the third by the definition of function multiplication, the fourth by our definition of $x$, the fifth by the definition of function composition.

Note that all of the justifications above either involve a definition of function combinations (multiplication or composition), or the use of $x=F(p).$ So, had we not taken the extra step of setting $x=F(p)$, then the only things needed to justify the equality you're after is the definitions of function multiplication and function composition.

Does this help clear things up at all?

Edit: $F(p)$ is an element of $N$, not $\mathbb{R}$ as I originally said.

GJA said:
Hi Peter,

Let's try to simplify the notation by setting $x$ equal to the point $F(p)\in N$; i.e. let $x=F(p)$. Then we can write

$((f\cdot g)\circ F)(p) = (f\cdot g)(F(p)) = (f\cdot g)(x) = f(x)\cdot g(x)=f(F(p))\cdot g(F(p)) = (f\circ F)(p)\cdot (g\circ F)(p).$

The first equality follows from the definition of function composition, the second by our definition of $x$, the third by the definition of function multiplication, the fourth by our definition of $x$, the fifth by the definition of function composition.

Note that all of the justifications above either involve a definition of function combinations (multiplication or composition), or the use of $x=F(p).$ So, had we not taken the extra step of setting $x=F(p)$, then the only things needed to justify the equality you're after is the definitions of function multiplication and function composition.

Does this help clear things up at all?

Edit: $F(p)$ is an element of $N$, not $\mathbb{R}$ as I originally said.
Thanks GJA ... most helpful of you ...

Everything made clear!

Peter

Related to Distributing the Product of Functions over Composition of Functions

1. What is the definition of "distributing the product of functions over composition of functions"?

"Distributing the product of functions over composition of functions" is a mathematical concept that involves breaking down a complex function into simpler functions and then multiplying their outputs together.

2. How is this concept useful in mathematics?

This concept is useful in simplifying complex functions and allows for easier calculation and analysis of mathematical problems.

3. Can you provide an example of "distributing the product of functions over composition of functions"?

Yes, for example, if we have the functions f(x) = 2x and g(x) = x^2, then the composition of these functions is (g ∘ f)(x) = g(f(x)) = g(2x) = (2x)^2 = 4x^2. Distributing the product of these functions would result in (f(x) * g(x)) = 2x * x^2 = 2x^3.

4. Are there any rules or properties associated with this concept?

Yes, there are certain rules and properties that apply to distributing the product of functions over composition of functions. For example, the associative property states that the order in which you distribute the product does not change the result. Also, the distributive property can be used to distribute a constant multiplier over the product of functions.

5. How can understanding this concept help in solving real-world problems?

Understanding this concept can help in solving real-world problems that involve complex functions, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the relationship between different variables and make predictions based on the given data.