Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distributing weight of four legs evenly over surface

1. Jan 7, 2016 #1
    I have a stepper exercise machine that stands on four legs and I would like to place this machine on a shelf made of canvas cloth ( the whole wardrobe is made of canvas ). The problem is I think the shelf would tear where the four legs are. So I would like to ask if there is any way I could distribute the weight of the four legs evenly over the whole floor of the canvas shelf?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 8, 2016 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The pressure on the feet (if the weigh is evenly distributed) will be Weight/(Total area of feet). If the weight is very uneven, the pressure could be Weight/ (Area of one foot). The only way to reduce the pressure significantly is to use a board between the machine and the canvas. This will instantly reduce the pressure by increasing the contact area but you would need to round off the edges of the board or pad them or the board will still cut through the canvas because of the high pressure around the edges.

5. Jan 8, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some of those wardrobes are pretty flimsy and stepper exercise machines can be heavy.

How about putting a block of something under the wardrobe to take the weight off the canvas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook