1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distributing weight of four legs evenly over surface

1. Jan 8, 2016 #1
    I have a stepper exercise machine that stands on four legs and I would like to place this machine on a shelf made of canvas cloth ( the whole wardrobe is made of canvas ). The problem is I think the shelf would tear where the four legs are. So I would like to ask if there is any way I could distribute the weight of the four legs evenly over the whole floor of the canvas shelf?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 8, 2016 #3
    Just put a plate of thin metal, say 1/8th inch thick aluminum the size of the whole machine and put it under the legs. That should spread out the force enough to not rip the canvas. Also think about doubling up the thickness of the canvas.

Why do you want to do such a thing anyway? Is this a size constriction of the machine taking up too much floor space?

5. Jan 8, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds a bit dangerous. The cyclical loading of the stepper would seem like it would wear out the canvas no matter what...

6. Jan 8, 2016 #5
    The canvas shelf is just for storage, right? Am I correct in assuming you will take the machine off the shelf and put it on a solid floor for use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook