Distributing weight of four legs evenly over surface

• Thread starter Tan88
  • Start date
I have a stepper exercise machine that stands on four legs and I would like to place this machine on a shelf made of canvas cloth ( the whole wardrobe is made of canvas ). The problem is I think the shelf would tear where the four legs are. So I would like to ask if there is any way I could distribute the weight of the four legs evenly over the whole floor of the canvas shelf?
Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
No.

Just put a plate of thin metal, say 1/8th inch thick aluminum the size of the whole machine and put it under the legs. That should spread out the force enough to not rip the canvas. Also think about doubling up the thickness of the canvas.

Why do you want to do such a thing anyway? Is this a size constriction of the machine taking up too much floor space?

berkeman
Mentor
I have a stepper exercise machine that stands on four legs and I would like to place this machine on a shelf made of canvas cloth ( the whole wardrobe is made of canvas ). The problem is I think the shelf would tear where the four legs are. So I would like to ask if there is any way I could distribute the weight of the four legs evenly over the whole floor of the canvas shelf?
Thanks.
Sounds a bit dangerous. The cyclical loading of the stepper would seem like it would wear out the canvas no matter what...

The canvas shelf is just for storage, right? Am I correct in assuming you will take the machine off the shelf and put it on a solid floor for use.