Distribution of Product of Dependent RV's

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of the product of dependent random variables, specifically the case of X and Y being dependent. The paper referenced in the conversation presents an algorithm for computing the probability density function of the product of two independent random variables. However, the question at hand is about understanding the case of dependent variables and finding the distribution of Z = X*Y using only the marginal densities of X and Y. The conversation also touches on the distribution of sums and differences of possibly dependent and non-Gaussian random variables.
PlasticOh-No

Hello all.
Let's say we have two random variables, say X and Y.
We know the marginal densities for them, say Px(X) and Py(Y).
How do we find the density of Z = X*Y?
The important part here is that X and Y are dependent.
If there are any tips or directions you can point me then great.

Physics news on Phys.org
PlasticOh-No said:

If there are any tips or directions you can point me then great.

An application of the product formula is given here.

http://www.math.wm.edu/~leemis/2003csada.pdf

If X and Y are dependent then f X,Y (x,y)=f Y|X (y|x) f X(x)=f X|Y (x|y) f Y(y)

Note: E[X,Y]=E[X]E[Y]+Cov [X,Y]

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. However, note that this paper shows an algorithmic approach to the calculation of the distribution of independent random variables.

From the abstract,
We present an algorithm for computing the probability density function of the product of two independent random variables

What I need is an understanding of the case when the variables in question are dependent.

Also I am not saying that I need to find the joint density of X and Y.

I need to think about the distribution of Z, when Z = X*Y and all I have to go on are X and Y's marginals.

PlasticOh-No said:
What I need is an understanding of the case when the variables in question are dependent.

The Rohatgi integral can handle dependence. That's why I included the formula for f X,Y (x,y) when X and Y are dependent.

Also see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_distribution

Last edited:
I see. So we will be needing the joint distribution.
My mistake, thank you very much for your help.

PlasticOh-No said:
I see. So we will be needing the joint distribution.
My mistake, thank you very much for your help.

You're welcome.

SW VandeCarr said:
An application of the product formula is given here.

http://www.math.wm.edu/~leemis/2003csada.pdf

If X and Y are dependent then f X,Y (x,y)=f Y|X (y|x) f X(x)=f X|Y (x|y) f Y(y)

Note: E[X,Y]=E[X]E[Y]+Cov [X,Y]

Error in post 2: That should be E[XY]=E[X]E[Y]+Cov[X,Y]

Last edited:
Hello again
Can you give tips on also distribution of:
sum or difference on random variables that are
-possibly dependent
-non Gaussian
Thank you

I got it, it is
Z=X+Y
[tex] f_Z(z)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,z-x)dx [\tex]

where f is the joint dist

PlasticOh-No said:
I got it, it is
Z=X+Y
[tex] f_Z(z)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,z-x)dx [/tex]
where f is the joint dist

corrected Latex

Arrg. Thanks Matey

[tex] f_Z(z)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,z-x)dx [/tex]

Shiver me timbers
How does one edit an old post? thanks

Related to Distribution of Product of Dependent RV's

1. What is the definition of "Distribution of Product of Dependent RV's"?

The distribution of product of dependent random variables (RV's) is a statistical concept that describes the probability distribution of the product of multiple random variables that are dependent on each other. It is often used in fields such as finance and engineering to model the behavior of complex systems.

2. How is the distribution of product of dependent RV's different from the distribution of independent RV's?

The distribution of product of dependent RV's is different from the distribution of independent RV's because the variables are not independent of each other. This means that their joint distribution cannot be factorized into the individual distributions of each variable, which is possible when the variables are independent.

3. What is the formula for calculating the distribution of product of dependent RV's?

The formula for calculating the distribution of product of dependent RV's is given by the product of the individual probability density functions (PDFs) of the variables. This can be expressed as P(X₁, X₂, ..., Xₙ) = f₁(X₁)*f₂(X₂)*...*fₙ(Xₙ), where X₁, X₂, ..., Xₙ are the dependent random variables and f₁(X₁), f₂(X₂), ..., fₙ(Xₙ) are their respective PDFs.

4. How can the distribution of product of dependent RV's be used in real-world applications?

The distribution of product of dependent RV's is commonly used in risk analysis and portfolio management in finance, as well as in reliability analysis in engineering. It allows for a more accurate modeling of complex systems where the variables are not independent, resulting in more accurate predictions and decision-making.

5. What are some limitations of the distribution of product of dependent RV's?

One of the main limitations of the distribution of product of dependent RV's is that it can be difficult to calculate, especially when there are a large number of variables involved. It also assumes that the variables are continuously distributed, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, the assumption of dependence between variables may not always hold true, leading to inaccurate results.