Div, grad and curl in cylindrical polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the div, grad, and curl in cylindrical polar coordinates for the scalar field phi = U(R+a^2/R)cos(theta) + k*theta, with U, a, and k being constants. The individual attempts for the gradient and curl are incorrect, with the correct answers being U(1-a^2/R^2)cos(theta) R'hat' - U(1+a^2/R^2)sin(theta) - k/R theta'hat' and sin(theta)(-2Ua^2/R^4 + U/R - a^2/R^3) - k/R^3 z'hat', respectively. The divergence of the gradient is also not identically
maggie56

Homework Statement

Hi,
i am trying to find the div, grad and curl in cylindrical polar coordinates for the scalar field
[tex] \ phi = U(R+a^2/R)cos(theta) + k*theta [/tex] for cylindrical polar coordinates (R,theta,z)
I have attempted all three and would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if the answers look ok as I am really not sure whether i have correctly followed the method
Thank you
Sorry i forgot to put that its the curl of the gradient and divergence of the gradient that I am finding. I guess i have a non zero answer for curl of gradient because U,a and k are constants so my answer would be zero for certain U,a,k.

Homework Equations

[tex] \ phi = U(R+a^2/R)cos(theta) + k*theta [/tex] U,a,k constants

The Attempt at a Solution

For gradient of phi [tex] \ U(1-a^2/R^2)cos(theta) [/tex] R'hat' - [tex] \[ U(1+a^2/R^2)sin(theta) + k/R] [/tex]
theta'hat'

Curl of phi [tex] \ sin(theta)(2Ua^2/R^4 + U/R - a^2/R^3) - k/R^3 [/tex] z'hat'

divergence of phi is zero

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The gradient is correct, but the curl and divergence aren't. You can't take the curl and divergence of a scalar field.

Sorry its the curl of the gradient and the divergence of the gradient.
i know that the curl of the gradient is always zero?

Right, the curl is 0. Mathematica gave me a different result for the divergence, though. (I think you swapped "curl" and "divergence" in the original post. Or maybe not. Either way, they're both incorrect.)

I have looked at the curl and divergence again. u is the gradient of phi.

u = [tex] \ U(1-a^2/R^2)cos(theta) [/tex] R'hat' - [tex] \[ U(1+a^2/R^2)sin(theta) + k/R] [/tex] theta'hat'

so curl of u is
[tex] \ [U/R -a^2U/R^3 - 2a^2U/R^4)sin(theta) - k/R^3 [/tex] z'hat'

divergence of u is 0

Do these answers look better? since U,a and k are constants i have an expression for the curl of the gradient but this could be zero for certain U,a and k.

No, the curl of the gradient is 0 for all U, a, and k, and the divergence is not identically 0.

Show your work.

my working
for the curl of the gradient

[tex] \ 1/R [ 0R'hat' + 0 theta'hat' + -2Ua^2/R^3 sin(theta) - k/R^2 + U(1-a^2/R^2 sin(theta) ][/tex]

= [tex] \ sin(theta)(-2Ua^2/R^4 + U/R - a^2/R^3) - k/R^3 [/tex]

my matrix for the curl is

R'hat' Theta'hat' Z'hat on top line
d/dR d/dtheta d/dz on middle line
[tex] \ U(1-a^2/R^2)cos(theta)[/tex] [tex] \ -U(1+a^2/R^2)sin(theta)+k/R[/tex] 0 on bottom line

with a 1/R on the outside
the -U is in the middle column and zero is for z column

Likes yucheng

1. What are cylindrical polar coordinates?

Cylindrical polar coordinates are a system of coordinates used to represent points in 3-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin (r), an angle from the positive x-axis (theta), and a height from the xy-plane (z).

2. What is the difference between div, grad, and curl in cylindrical polar coordinates?

Div, grad, and curl are mathematical operators used in vector calculus. In cylindrical polar coordinates, div represents the divergence, grad represents the gradient, and curl represents the curl of a vector field.

3. How do you calculate div, grad, and curl in cylindrical polar coordinates?

To calculate div, grad, and curl in cylindrical polar coordinates, you can use the corresponding formulas for each operator. For example, the formula for div in cylindrical polar coordinates is (1/r)*(d(rVr)/dr + d(Vtheta)/dtheta + d(Vz)/dz), where Vr, Vtheta, and Vz are the components of the vector field.

4. What are the applications of div, grad, and curl in cylindrical polar coordinates?

Div, grad, and curl have various applications in physics and engineering. For example, they are used to study the flow of fluids, electromagnetic fields, and heat transfer in cylindrical systems.

5. Can div, grad, and curl be converted between different coordinate systems?

Yes, div, grad, and curl can be converted between different coordinate systems using transformation formulas. In cylindrical polar coordinates, the transformation formulas involve the Jacobian matrix and its determinant.