Divergence in spherical coordinate system

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gradience, divergence, and curl in different coordinate systems, specifically Cartesian, spherical, and cylindrical. The basis vectors in spherical coordinates change based on position, which leads to changes in the differentiation process. The exact form of del can be found using the Jacobian matrix and the expression for del in Cartesian coordinates. The conversation also mentions the use of infinitesimals in curvilinear coordinates and suggests looking into Boas' "Mathematical Methods of the Physical Sciences" for more information. The main idea is to find the relation between differentials and partial derivatives in order to understand these concepts better.
PrakashPhy
I have been studying gradience; divergence and curl. I think i understand them in cartesian coordinate system; But i don't understand how do they get such complex stuffs out of nowhere in calculating divergence in spherical and cylindrical coordinate system. Any helps; links or suggestion referring del operator in these coordinate system would be appreciable.

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest answer is that in spherical coordinates, the basis vectors change based on position, so they get differentiated too. The exact form of del can be computed using the Jacobian matrix and the expression for del in Cartesian.

Ooh playing with rates (differentials and partial derivatives, aka covectors and vectors) is really cool in changes of coordinates.

In Boas' "Mathematical Methods of the Physical Sciences", there is a pretty quick treatment (two or three sections) of curvilinear coordinates and these infinitesimals (although I've never gotten around to figuring out how to marry Boas' notation with Jack Lee's in Introduction to Smooth Manifolds, which is harder to dig through quickly, but seems to have a more consistent development).

I conjecture that the main idea is finding the relation between dx and dθ, and ∂/∂x and ∂/∂θ. I'm not sure without trying it out this moment, but you might be able to find these relations yourself.

And the rest follows -maybe- if you're careful. ∇=(∂x,∂y). Hmm, I've got to work on some other stuff, so I have to leave it there.

1. What is divergence in a spherical coordinate system?

Divergence in a spherical coordinate system is a measure of the rate at which a vector field is either expanding or contracting at a given point. It is a scalar quantity that represents the net flow of a vector field out of a closed surface.

2. How is divergence calculated in a spherical coordinate system?

The formula for calculating divergence in a spherical coordinate system is:

∇ · F = (1/r^2) ∂(r^2 Fr)/∂r + (1/rsinθ) ∂(sinθFθ)/∂θ + (1/rsinθ) ∂Fφ/∂φ
Where r is the radial distance, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle.

3. What does a positive divergence value indicate in a spherical coordinate system?

A positive divergence value indicates that the vector field is expanding at a given point. This means that the flow of the vector field is moving away from the point, and the net flow is outward from a closed surface surrounding the point.

4. How does divergence behave near a point in a spherical coordinate system?

Near a point in a spherical coordinate system, the divergence can be either positive, negative, or zero. If the net flow of the vector field is outward, the divergence will be positive. If the net flow is inward, the divergence will be negative. If there is no net flow, the divergence will be zero.

5. What are some real-world applications of divergence in a spherical coordinate system?

Divergence in a spherical coordinate system is used in many fields, including fluid mechanics, electromagnetics, and heat transfer. It is commonly used to study the flow of fluids and gases in pipes, as well as the distribution of heat and electric charge in a system. It is also used in meteorology to study air flow and atmospheric circulation patterns.