Diverging Sequence: Proving p>0 for 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0...

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of divergence for the sequence xn: 1,0,1,0,1,0,... by showing that there exists a number p>0 such that there is no N with the property abs(xn-C)<p where n>N for all n and C is the limit. It is explained that this value of p must be less than or equal to 1/2 in order to show the contradiction that there is no limit. The discussion also touches on the idea of subsequences and their convergence to different values.
sara_87

Homework Statement

show that the sequence is divergent:
xn: 1,0,1,0,1,0,...

The Attempt at a Solution

there exists a number p>0 such that there is no N with the property abs(xn-C)<p
where n>N for all n and C is the limit.

I don know how to find this value of p. My teacher said that p must be greater than 1/2 but i can't understand why.
can someone please explain using very basic explanation.

thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose, for contradiction, that x_n is convergent. Then lim x_n exists, call it C. That is, for any p > 0, we can find N s.t. |x_n - C| < p for all n > N.

It follows then that |x_n - C| < 1/2 and |x_(n+1) - C| < 1/2, for p = 1/2. Can you continue from here? Hint: if x_n = 0, then x_n+1 = 1. Also, use the triangle inequality to find the contradiction.

Last edited:
sara_87 said:
show that the sequence is divergent:
xn: 1,0,1,0,1,0,...

there exists a number p>0 such that there is no N with the property abs(xn-C)<p
where n>N for all n and C is the limit.

I don know how to find this value of p. My teacher said that p must be greater than 1/2 but i can't understand why.

Hi sara_87! :smile:

uh? your teacher must mean p < 1/2 :confused:

whatever C you choose, either 0 or 1 will be further away from C than p, if p < 1/2. :smile:

Haha yes, noted in my post as well; picking p =1 would yield nothing substantive in the argument.

Is this for an Analysis class, sara_87?

Yes this is for an analysis class.

sorry, i ment p<1/2.
Thanx JinM and tiny-tim.

Hold on, i don't fully understand yet;
lets just say p=3 then why doesn't this work because abs(xn-1)<3

I think I am missing the point??

Relax. The sequence diverges, but picking p = 3 won't help you because the limits 1 and 0 are both inside the interval (-3,3), so arguing divergence is useless here. Pick something smaller until one of the limits leave the interval. You're just trying to constrain an infinite number of terms inside a neighborhood, assuming that a limit exist, but the terms keep leaving the interval so there is your contradiction. Just make this more rigorous as I outlined for you above.

sara_87 said:
I think I am missing the point??

Yup … you've started trying to prove that it does converge! :smile:

ok so let's take p=2/3; why doesn't this work for:
abs(xn-c)<p ??

Sara, I'm not an expert on this, as I'm taking the class right now.

It works for p = 2/3; that is, you would leave out the 1 and constrain the 0 inside the interval, but it is not an ideal candidate for a contradiction argument. From the outline above, what you're trying to do is simply argue that

1 = |1-C+C| <= |1-C| + |C| = |1-C| + |0-C| < p + p = 2p.

Come up with a p where 2p < 1. This will give you p <= 1/2. But do you see why this is a contradiction? Don't forget, you're assuming the result holds for all p > 0, but we have a problem here.

If it converges then every subsequence converges and to the same value. Can you find two subsequences that both converge but to different values? No need for [tex] \delta [/tex] and [tex] \varepsilon [/tex] then.

Oh ok, i see the point now. we can't find a value p which is > 1/2 that would satisfy our property abs(xn-C) so that means there is no limit.

:)
Thanks all.

1. What is a diverging sequence?

A diverging sequence is a sequence of numbers that does not have a finite limit. This means that as the sequence continues, the numbers become larger and larger or smaller and smaller without ever reaching a specific value.

2. How do you prove that p>0 for the sequence 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0...?

In order to prove that p>0 for this sequence, you will need to show that the sequence does not converge to 0. This can be done by using the definition of convergence and showing that for any given small number, there will always be a term in the sequence that is larger than that number.

3. What is the significance of proving p>0 for this sequence?

Proving that p>0 for this sequence shows that the sequence is divergent and does not have a finite limit. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in the study of infinite series and in analyzing the behavior of certain physical systems.

4. Can you explain why the sequence 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0... is divergent?

Yes, this sequence is divergent because it does not have a finite limit. As the sequence continues, the numbers alternate between 1 and 0, but they never approach a specific value. Instead, the numbers continue to alternate without ever settling on a single value.

5. What other methods can be used to prove that p>0 for this sequence?

Other methods that can be used to prove that p>0 for this sequence include using the comparison test, the limit comparison test, or the ratio test. Each of these methods involves comparing the given sequence to another known sequence and using mathematical principles to show that the given sequence is divergent.