Divisors of 55,125: Counting Principle

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter weiji
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Counting Principle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
weiji
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
How many divisors does 55,125 have? For example, 55,125 = (3)^2 . (5)^3 . (7)^2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi weiji! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
weiji said:
How many divisors does 55,125 have? For example, 55,125 = (3)^2 . (5)^3 . (7)^2

Well, each divisor has to be of the form 3a5b7c, wiht a b and c integers > 0 …

so how many is that? :smile:​
 
I did a very long calculation by assume a=1, b=1 ; a=1,c=1 ; b=1,c=1, from here, I know 1575x35 = 2625x21 = 3675x15. Then I calculate each possible answer, I got 36 divisors. But is there any faster way? I really have no idea. :(
 
If the prime factorization of [tex]n[/tex] is [tex]n=p_1^{e_1}p_2^{e_2}...p_n^{e_n}[/tex]. Now, in any divisor, each prime factor's exponent [tex]a[/tex] range from [tex]0\leq a \leq e_i[/tex].
 
Thanks for sharing. By the way, I'm new here and nice to meet you all.