Divisors of Zero in Rings: A[x] and the Impossibility in Polynomial Rings

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kiwi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary, it is not possible for every element not equal to 0 or 1 to be a divisor of zero in any ring of polynomials A[x], even when A is not an integral domain. This is because by definition, a polynomial ring requires A to be a commutative ring with unity, and in such a ring, it is not possible for ax+1 to be a divisor of zero. This is a general concept and applies to all rings, including noncommutative rings with identity.
Kiwi1
There are rings such as [tex]P_3[/tex] in which every element not equal to 0 or 1 is a divisor of zero. Explain why this is not possible in any ring of polynomials A[x], even when A is not an integral domain.

I can't see how to answer this.

If I define A as Z_3 with the usual addition and define multiplication trivially as a*b=0 then I have A[x] where every element is a divisor of zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kiwi,

By choosing the trivial action for $\Bbb Z_3$, you would have $1 = 0$ and so $\Bbb Z_3[x]$ would be trivial. You're supposed to have $1\neq 0$.

Thanks Euge, I still can't see a solution.

The question does not expressly forbid 1=0 in fact see their example P_3, an 8 element ring where 1=0=empty set.

P_3 also has the interesting property that if p is in P_3 then p^2=0.

Actually [tex]p_ip_j=0[/tex] iff i=j.

so if a(x)b(x)=0 with [tex]a(x)=p_ix+p_j[/tex] and [tex]b(x)=b_nx^n+...+b_0[/tex]

the constant term must be 0 so b_o=p_j

The term in x must be zero so [tex]p_ib_0+b_0b_1=0[/tex]

I'm lost.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. If $A$ is the trivial ring (so $A[x]$) is trivial, then the statement "every element not equal to $0$ or $1$ is a divisor of zero" is vacuously true for $A[x]$.

To form a polynomial ring $A[x]$, you assume $A$ is commutative. Otherwise, you don't have enough information to make $A[x]$ into a ring. You would need an endomorphism $\sigma : A\to A$ and define a multiplication $xa := \sigma(a)x$ (for $a\in A$) to make $A[x]$ into a ring for noncommutative $A$.

Check back to see precisely what they mean by "all rings", as some may consider all rings to be commutative with identity.

Thanks, I think I have it.

The introductory paragraphs of my text define a polynomial:

"Let A be a commutative ring with unity, and x an arbitrary symbol ..."

So if A is any such ring and in that ring a,b not zero such that ab=0. Then I can prove that ax+1 is not a divisor of zero.

Assume that ax +1 is a divisor of zero with 'partner' of the form b(x) where:

[tex]b(x)=b_nx^n+ ... + b_0[/tex]

Then

[tex](ax+1)(b_nx^n+ ... + b_0)=0[/tex], so [tex]b_0=0[/tex], and:

[tex](ax+1)(b_nx^{n-1}+ ... + b_1)x=0[/tex], so [tex]b_1=0[/tex]

continuting as required we eventually get to:

[tex](ax+1)(b_n)x^n=0[/tex], so [tex]b_n[/tex]=0

That is b(x)=0 and ax+1 is not a divisor of zero.

1. What are divisors of zero?

Divisors of zero are numbers that, when multiplied by another number, result in zero. In other words, they are the numbers that divide zero without leaving a remainder.

2. Can zero have any divisors besides itself?

No, zero only has itself as a divisor because any number multiplied by zero will result in zero.

3. Why are divisors of zero important in mathematics?

Divisors of zero are important in mathematics because they help us understand the concept of division by zero, which is undefined. They also play a role in algebraic equations and can help us identify where an equation is undefined.

4. Can a divisor of zero be a negative number?

Yes, a divisor of zero can be a negative number. For example, -2 is a divisor of zero because -2 multiplied by 0 equals 0.

5. Can divisors of zero be used in real-life applications?

Yes, divisors of zero can be used in real-life applications, such as in physics and engineering. For example, when calculating the acceleration of an object, the force applied must be divided by the mass of the object, which can be zero in certain scenarios. This concept is also important in economics and finance, where the concept of division by zero can help identify and prevent errors in calculations.