DIY 12V LED Taillights: Resistor & LED Setup

• Thread starter riviknights
  • Start date
  • Tags
    12v Led
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LED lights in cars and the process of making them. The main question is how to determine the appropriate resistor to use with a certain number of LEDs to achieve maximum brightness without damaging them. The conversation also mentions the use of Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to change the brightness of the taillights and offers advice and resources for creating a PWM circuit. There is also a discussion about the minimum power, voltage, and current required for lighting an LED. Finally, there is a mention of a problem with an LED circuit producing very low voltage and brightness, and possible causes for this issue.
riviknights
I work on cars, and love the led look in the taillgiht of a car or vehicle. I want to learn how to make them, I know how to solder. I have made one just playing around, but am not sure if it is set up right. The first questiong I have is how do figure what type of resistor to use with how many leds to get the max light out of the leds without burning them out? Thanks for you time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to know the maximum current spec of the LED you wish to use. Considering it's for a car, you will most likely use 12vdc. Once you find the rated current, you can find the resistance using the following equation: V = IR where V is voltage, I is current (in amps) and R is resistance (in ohms).

Thanks for your time...

Size: 5mm

Lens Color : Water Clear

Forward Voltage (V) : 2.0~2.4

Forward Current (mA):20

View Angle: About 25 degree.
Static Sense:Yes

Luminous Intensity: 15000mcd
Life Rating : 100,000 Hours

LED Taillights use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to change brightness for taillight to brake.

There are a few solder together PWM demonstration kits to get started.

riviknights, if you want a simple circuit to get you started then try using 4 of those LED's (in series with each other) in series with one 270 ohm resistor. That is all five componets in one series circuit. That will get you somewhere near maximum brightness reasonably safely.

Here is a neat resistor and power calculator for a panel of LEDs

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Thanks for all the help and advice, I greatly appeaciate it. I'm going to make some trial and test lights, I think I have enough information now, but just one more ? What is the lowest amount of power that can be put to these leds? I mean is there a minimum? Thanks agian for all the help. I will be back to show my result once I get them done.

The minimum power is zero.

If you want a low power setting then try about 5mA (which will reduce the voltage on each LED to about 1.7 volts) giving about 8 to 10 mW per LED

bipolar said:
LED Taillights use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to change brightness for taillight to brake.

There are a few solder together PWM demonstration kits to get started.

This page on my site shows a PWM circuit used to save battery power with LED lights.
It was found that the human eye could not detect the difference if duty cycle was 1:3.
Link here:-
http://www.geocities.com/sirkituk/sirkit_electronics_night_light.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, I have made a circuit connected to an led . It produces very low voltage,which could not be measured by multimeter.so ,if anyone have better idea to measure that ,please reply.
And I also want to know about the minimum power ,voltage and current required for lighting the LED.thanks

sulabh.dudex said:
hi, I have made a circuit connected to an led . It produces very low voltage,which could not be measured by multimeter.so ,if anyone have better idea to measure that ,please reply.
And I also want to know about the minimum power ,voltage and current required for lighting the LED.thanks

Is the LED lit when you measure this very low Voltage?
I assume not. So
1. your driver circuit is not working. or
2. your LED is faulty and causing a short circuit.

A standard red LED will need about 2Volts and will draw about 10mA for normal brightness.
Power = VI =2X0.01 = 0.02Watts = 2mW.
Hope this helps.

sirkituk said:
Is the LED lit when you measure this very low Voltage?
I assume not. So
1. your driver circuit is not working. or
2. your LED is faulty and causing a short circuit.

A standard red LED will need about 2Volts and will draw about 10mA for normal brightness.
Power = VI =2X0.01 = 0.02Watts = 2mW.
Hope this helps.

SIR, the LED lit (that's what the main problem is)with a very low brightness.I have tested the LED in other circuit and it doesn't have any fault,so the problem still remain as it was.

sulabh.dudex said:
SIR, the LED lit (that's what the main problem is)with a very low brightness.I have tested the LED in other circuit and it doesn't have any fault,so the problem still remain as it was.

It sounds as if your driver circuit has a very high resistance, which would cause a large volt drop when a current is taken from it.
It would help to know what that circuit is.

Related to DIY 12V LED Taillights: Resistor & LED Setup

1. How do I calculate the appropriate resistor for my DIY 12V LED taillights?

To calculate the appropriate resistor for your DIY 12V LED taillights, you will need to know the voltage of your LED (usually around 2-3V) and the current rating (often 20mA). You can then use Ohm's law (R = V/I) to determine the necessary resistance. Keep in mind that LEDs in series will require a higher resistance, while LEDs in parallel will require a lower resistance.

2. Can I use any type of LED for my DIY 12V taillights?

No, you cannot use any type of LED for your DIY 12V taillights. It is important to use LEDs that are specifically designed for automotive use, as they are built to withstand the vibrations and temperature changes of a vehicle. Using non-automotive LEDs may result in premature failure.

3. How do I wire my DIY 12V LED taillights?

The wiring for DIY 12V LED taillights will depend on the specific setup of your vehicle. In general, you will need to connect the LEDs in parallel to the 12V power source, with the appropriate resistors in place. It is important to use proper wiring techniques and materials to ensure safety and functionality.

4. What are the benefits of using LED taillights over traditional incandescent bulbs?

LED taillights offer several benefits over traditional incandescent bulbs. They are more energy-efficient, have a longer lifespan, and produce brighter and more vibrant light. They are also less prone to failure due to vibrations and have a faster response time, making them safer for driving.

5. Can I replace my existing taillights with DIY 12V LED taillights?

Yes, you can replace your existing taillights with DIY 12V LED taillights. However, it is important to ensure that the LED setup and wiring is compatible with your vehicle's electrical system. It may also be necessary to make modifications to the housing or mounting to accommodate the new LED lights.