Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do bubbles heat up as they collapse?

1. May 29, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

If you're referring to cavitation bubbles, it can increase in temperature quite a bit. Here is a great on-line reference for bubble dynamics and cavitation:

Here is the TOC of the book:

This is a highly specialized field of study. I won't pretend to know anything except the very elemental aspects so I can't get into the deep physics of what is going on.
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  4. May 30, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The surface temperature of the sun is about 5800 degK i.e. about 20 times the ambient surface temperature of the earth, so FredGarvin's factor of "4x10^4 times the ambient temperature" is more than enough to make the initial statement plausible.
  5. May 30, 2007 #4
    Just from first principles:

- as a bubble decreases to zero radius, the internal pressure increases infinitly (due to surface tension).

- the shrinking of the bubble involves the condensation of gas into the surrounding liquid, which is a heating process (opposite of evaporation).

From this I'm naively (neglecting the atomic scale) tempted to conclude that the bubble remains at a "boiling temperature" that with pressure goes also to infinity as the bubble collapses.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?