Do Desktop Computers Have Built-In Batteries Like Laptops?

• Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of CMOS batteries in desktop computers and their purpose. It is mentioned that modern desktops usually have replaceable coin cell batteries for the Real Time Clock module, which can also store BIOS information. Some older PCs may experience problems due to a failing battery, and it is recommended to replace it when the clock starts running incorrectly. The use of UPS devices to provide backup power for desktop computers is also mentioned.
kolleamm
A Google search only yielded whether they have CMOS batteries, but I'm referring to batteries that if you were to unplug your computer it would go off.

I opened up a mini Desktop and just saw a motherboard without any large battery anywhere, so I'm guessing no? I would like to be sure however.

Thanks in advance

Computer science news on Phys.org
No. Desktops are usually connected to an external power backup in case the power goes out. Some have minimal batteries, but they're designed to last basically just long enough for the computer to properly shut down.

Likes kolleamm
Thanks, my concern arose from having a battery fail before the computer does.

kolleamm said:
Thanks, my concern arose from having a battery fail before the computer does.
The Real Time Clock module will generally have a small battery. And it does have a limited lifetime -- that's why some older PCs do not have an accurate time anymore and have to be reset when powered up. And since it can also be responsible for storing BIOS information (in older PCs before cheap serial flash memories were available), it can cause other problems and need to be replaced.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-does-my-motherboard-have-a-battery/

Likes kolleamm
In modern desktops those batteries are almost always 2032 size coin cells. Usually they are replaceable with nothing more complicated than a small prying device. Often the lever is operable with your finger. The clock may run the wrong speed long before you get any other faulty operation. If it is not keeping the correct time it is time to replace the battery.

When they get low you can sometimes get odd operation. As I recall, intel's 810 series of chipsets would lock up when the battery went dead. Te revive them you needed to go through a certain series of actions when replacing the battery. Just popping in a new one would not work.

BoB

Likes kolleamm
Thanks guys that clears it up for me. Desktops have no batteries for the whole system.

Except when you are connected to a UPS. There are UPS designs that are installed internally in a spare drive bay.

So there are some rare cases where the desktop has a battery to run the whole system. The run time is generally just long enough to save your work and shut down. It is not for general use.

BoB

I think it is wise to have a UPS for a desktop PC. I have one that will power the PC, monitor, and a small LED lamp for a short time so I can close files I am working on and shut it down if the power goes out. (My power does out a LOT at unexpected times.)

FactChecker said:
I think it is wise to have a UPS for a desktop PC. (My power does out a LOT at unexpected times.)
Very wise... my power goes off at unexpected times, too...

UPS.JPG

UPS1.JPG

1. Do all desktops have batteries?

No, not all desktops have batteries. Desktop computers are typically powered by an internal power supply connected to an electrical outlet.

2. Can I add a battery to my desktop computer?

It is not common for desktop computers to have the option to add a battery. Desktops are designed to be used with a constant power supply and do not require a battery for normal functioning. However, there are external battery packs available that can be connected to a desktop computer for temporary power backup.

3. How long do desktop batteries last?

As mentioned before, desktop computers do not typically have batteries. However, if a desktop does have a battery (usually reserved for specialized models), the lifespan of the battery will depend on factors such as usage, age, and quality. On average, a desktop battery can last anywhere from 3-5 years.

4. Do I need to replace the battery in my desktop computer?

If your desktop computer does have a battery, it is likely a CMOS battery that is responsible for storing basic system settings. This battery is designed to last for several years and does not need to be replaced unless you are experiencing issues with system settings not being saved.

5. Can I use my desktop computer without a battery?

Yes, you can use a desktop computer without a battery. As mentioned earlier, desktops are designed to be used with a constant power supply. However, if your desktop does have a battery, it is recommended to keep it installed as it helps keep system settings saved in case of a power outage or if the computer is unplugged.