Do fields created by magnets add up?

In summary, two stacked magnets of the same kind may not necessarily have double the strength of a single magnet, as the fields from each magnet add up as vectors. However, if the magnets are of the same material and cross-section, stacking them can result in the same strength as a single magnet of twice the length. This is because the fields add up in the same direction. Rare earth magnets, such as the ones produced by Magcraft, are known for their strong magnetic properties and are used in miniaturized electronics.
SMD1990
If I were to use a gaussmeter to measure the strength of a magnet's magnetic field, would the value read be double if I were to stack two (of the same kind of magnets) on top of one another?

Physics news on Phys.org
I THINK it might, but I'm not entirely sure. If you're thinking exactly double, probably not, since there is still a difference between the two magnets positions so one spot is technically further. But I think it should be double for the most part.

Well B fields obey superposition. And if we think of amperes law and if i were to double the current enclosed then the B field would double.

Yes, electromagnetic fields obey superposition and will stack as you guessed.

Why I was wondering is, I was looking at Magcraft's selection of magnets. Taking into account the differences in thickness, http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/p-5-nsn0592.aspx" of theirs are the strongest.

So if you were to stack them, and their magnetic fields add-up linearly, then they are stronger than individual singular magnets of a greater thickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those itty bitty super magnets are probably made with rare Earth materials. Apparently they channel or enhance the magnetic properties of materials or something. I'm not sure why, but I think that's what the article said. They play a major role in allowing us to have miniaturized electronics, so we don't need earbuds the size of an egg or something.

I saw a picture of one holding a foot long wrench in a National Geographic magazine, and it was maybe half a centimeter long(if i had to guess). It looked like a cylinder, for the most part, but angled, so like a hexagon with depth.

SMD1990 said:
Why I was wondering is, I was looking at Magcraft's selection of magnets. Taking into account the differences in thickness, http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/p-5-nsn0592.aspx" of theirs are the strongest.

So if you were to stack them, and their magnetic fields add-up linearly, then they are stronger than individual singular magnets of a greater thickness.
Magnetic fields from two sources add up as vectors at each point. So the strength of the field is not necessarily the sum of the strengths. In extreme case, the fields from two magnets can cancel at certain points.

Assuming same materials and cross-section of bar or cylinder magnets, two magnets of length L/2 stacked together should give you the same field as single magnet of length L.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they go in the same direction the add up. 5Tesla up + 10 Tesla up = 15 Tesla. 10 Tesla up + 5 Tesla down= 5 Tesla. Its all vectors.

1. Do opposite magnetic fields attract or repel?

Opposite magnetic fields attract each other. This is because the magnetic field lines of one magnet are oriented in the opposite direction of the other magnet, causing them to pull towards each other.

2. Can multiple magnets create a stronger magnetic field?

Yes, multiple magnets can create a stronger magnetic field. When magnets are placed near each other, their individual magnetic fields combine and create a larger, more concentrated field.

3. Is the strength of a magnetic field affected by distance from the magnet?

Yes, the strength of a magnetic field is affected by distance from the magnet. As you move further away from a magnet, the strength of the field decreases. This is why the pull of a magnet is weaker when it is farther away from an object.

4. Do the poles of a magnet determine the strength of the magnetic field?

No, the poles of a magnet do not determine the strength of the magnetic field. The strength of a magnetic field is determined by the size and composition of the magnet, as well as the distance from the magnet.

5. Can magnetic fields from different magnets cancel each other out?

Yes, magnetic fields from different magnets can cancel each other out. When the magnetic field lines of two magnets are oriented in opposite directions, they can cancel each other out and create a weaker overall magnetic field.