Do Freshman Grades Really Matter?

In summary, the speaker got grades of As, Bs, and Cs in their freshman courses, which was not as good as their performance in high school. However, they are determined to improve their grades in the more advanced courses in the upcoming terms. They are also willing to make sacrifices and seek advice on how to get into a good graduate school.
aLearner
So I got As Bs Cs in my freshman courses. Pretty bad compared to how I did in school, but I got carried away with all the college stuff. So far I've only taken intro courses, and the real physics starts next term. So every intro course I did bad on I have a chance to do good on the advanced level courses. Now, say I get straight A's from now on, until I graduate (so a 2 and half school years later). Would that truly stand out? And what more can I do to get into a really good grad school? I'm willing to make sacrifices, I've been studying a lot these past months and know what needs to be done. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
aLearner said:
So I got As Bs Cs in my freshman courses. Pretty bad compared to how I did in school, but I got carried away with all the college stuff. So far I've only taken intro courses, and the real physics starts next term. So every intro course I did bad on I have a chance to do good on the advanced level courses.

How would you know this? After all, all we have right now is that you are not doing very well in basic, fundamental subject matter that subsequent courses build upon.

Now, say I get straight A's from now on, until I graduate (so a 2 and half school years later).

Why don't we wait until you actually can produce these straight A's in a semester first before we explore such a scenario.

Zz.

FAQ: Do Freshman Grades Really Matter?

1. Do freshman grades have any impact on college admissions?

Yes, freshman grades can have an impact on college admissions. They are often taken into consideration along with grades from later years, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, and other factors.

2. How much weight do colleges give to freshman grades?

The weight given to freshman grades varies among colleges. Some may consider them as an important factor, while others may place more emphasis on grades from later years. It ultimately depends on the individual college's admissions process.

3. Can you recover from a bad freshman year in terms of college admissions?

Yes, it is possible to recover from a bad freshman year. Colleges often look at the overall trend of a student's academic performance, rather than just one year. If a student shows improvement in their grades and takes challenging courses in later years, it can help mitigate a lower GPA in their freshman year.

4. Do colleges only look at grades, or do they also consider the difficulty of courses?

Colleges typically consider both grades and the difficulty of courses when evaluating a student's academic performance. Taking challenging courses, such as AP or IB classes, can demonstrate a student's academic abilities and willingness to challenge themselves.

5. Can a strong performance in freshman year help with scholarships?

Yes, a strong performance in freshman year can help with scholarships. Some scholarships may require applicants to have a certain GPA or academic record, so strong grades in freshman year can improve a student's chances of receiving a scholarship.