Do i have a shot a graduate program in electrical engineering?

In summary, the individual is a student studying Industrial engineering in Peru and will soon graduate with an equivalent of a BS in industrial engineering. They have a strong interest in technology, computers, math, and science, and are wondering if they have a chance of getting into an electrical engineering master program in the US. They have a 4.0 GPA and financial support from their parents, but are open to taking additional courses to meet requirements. They are also considering pursuing a second undergraduate degree in electrical engineering. Overall, they have a good chance of acceptance and should start researching specific schools and their requirements to increase their chances.
piyowashere
Hi, i am currently studying Industrial engineering in Peru, i will graduate in 2 months. (i will get the equivalent of a BS in industrial engineer) All my life i have been into technology, computers, math, science, etc. Anyways i was wondering if i have a chance of getting into an electrical engineering master program in the US.
i have an equivalent of a 4.0 GPA, and my parents can support my financially with no problem. Those are the only things i have going for me.

Do i have a chance?
i don't care if i have to take 2 years of courses to get up date.
thanks

what if i go for a second undergraduate in electrical engineer, would that be a good idea? i am 22

Physics news on Phys.org
piyowashere said:
Hi, i am currently studying Industrial engineering in Peru, i will graduate in 2 months. (i will get the equivalent of a BS in industrial engineer) All my life i have been into technology, computers, math, science, etc. Anyways i was wondering if i have a chance of getting into an electrical engineering master program in the US.
i have an equivalent of a 4.0 GPA, and my parents can support my financially with no problem. Those are the only things i have going for me.
(Emphasis mine)

That's all you have going for you? Hahaha! What more do you want? (By the way, you also speak English.)

The fact that you don't need to worry about funding is a big plus in your favor. That will make things a lot easier for you. In addition to the GRE, you'll probably need to take IELTS or something like that to prove English proficiency. You should start looking for schools with programs/groups/people that you are interested in. Find out the specific requirements for those schools and go from there.

From the information you posted, you seem to have an above average chance of acceptance over other international students. I'm still in undergrad and haven't had to do the whole grad school admission thing yet, so don't take this as gospel. Once you start looking at schools, you'll have a better idea where you stand.

Good luck!

1. What qualifications do I need to have for a graduate program in electrical engineering?

To be considered for a graduate program in electrical engineering, you will typically need a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA and specific coursework in math, physics, and engineering. Additionally, having research experience or relevant internships can strengthen your application.

2. Is work experience necessary for admission to a graduate program in electrical engineering?

While work experience is not always required, it can be beneficial for your application. It demonstrates that you have practical knowledge and skills in the field and can contribute to the program. However, many graduate programs also accept students directly from undergraduate programs.

3. How important are standardized test scores for admission to a graduate program in electrical engineering?

Standardized test scores, such as the GRE, are typically required for admission to a graduate program in electrical engineering. However, they are not the only factor considered in the application process. Your undergraduate GPA, coursework, research experience, and letters of recommendation may also be taken into account.

4. What are the main areas of focus in a graduate program in electrical engineering?

Some common areas of focus in a graduate program in electrical engineering include power systems, signal processing, communications, and control systems. However, the specific areas of focus may vary depending on the program and your interests. It is important to research the curriculum of the program you are interested in to ensure it aligns with your goals.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should have before applying to a graduate program in electrical engineering?

Having a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science is important for success in a graduate program in electrical engineering. You should also have a strong understanding of circuit analysis, digital logic, and programming languages such as C++ and MATLAB. Additionally, having hands-on experience with electronics and electrical systems can be beneficial.