Do I need a feedback card to acquire motor RPM from a VFD?

In summary: The feedback card accessory for the VFD:This card is designed to provide feedback to a controller or VFD related to the RPM of a motor. It provides an input for 0-10VDC, and has multiple configurable inputs and outputs. Depending on the precision required, it may be close enough to the frequency output of the VFD.
belae1ka
The VFD I plan on using;
DURApulse GS3 series AC drive: https://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/gs3drives.pdf
Model: GS3-22P0

The feedback card accessory for the VFD: https://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/gs3fb.pdf

Hi everyone, I would like to know if I need this feedback card to obtain RPM of a motor that is being wired using the VFD specified above. I plan on controlling a 3 phase motor with the program Labview. I will be using MODBUS to communicate between the VFD and Labview.

The end goal of my project is to plot the force of a load cell with respect to an increasing motor RPM so I was wondering how to get the RPM feedback from the motor. What exactly is the main purpose of this feedback card? In what kind of applications would this card be needed?

Engineering news on Phys.org
belae1ka said:
What exactly is the main purpose of this feedback card?
You can make a closed loop controller.
The feedback is subtracted from the feed forward signal, which results in a speed ( or acceleration or position ) error.
This error is integrated, increasing or decreasing the torque, until the speed is accurate ( error = 0 ).
A digital controller will give you a speed, that is as accurate as the crystal controlling the clock frequency in your controller ( measured in parts per million ( ppm ) ).

belae1ka said:
Hi everyone, I would like to know if I need this feedback card to obtain RPM of a motor that is being wired using the VFD specified above.
No, it comes with multiple configurable inputs and outputs. You can get a 0-10V speed output, which you can translate into RPM.

Likes belae1ka
Depending on the precision required, If you know the design slip factor of the motor, (based on load, read AMPS) Frequency output of the VFD may be close enough.

Some VFD's offer "conversion" calculations to display "motor RPM" based on similar input.

Likes belae1ka

1. What is a VFD and how does it work?

A VFD, or variable frequency drive, is an electrical device used to control the speed of an electric motor by adjusting the frequency of the power supplied to it. It works by converting the AC power input into DC, and then back to AC at the desired frequency. This allows for precise control of motor speed and energy efficiency.

2. Do I need a feedback card to acquire motor RPM from a VFD?

No, a feedback card is not necessary to acquire motor RPM from a VFD. VFDs have built-in sensors that can measure motor speed without the need for additional feedback devices. However, using a feedback card can provide more accurate and precise RPM readings.

3. What is the purpose of a feedback card in a VFD?

A feedback card in a VFD is used to provide more accurate and precise measurements of motor speed. It works by receiving signals from sensors attached to the motor and relaying that information back to the VFD. This allows for better control and monitoring of the motor's speed and performance.

4. Are there different types of feedback cards for VFDs?

Yes, there are different types of feedback cards available for VFDs. Some common types include encoder cards, tachometer cards, and resolver cards. Each type is designed for a specific type of motor and provides different methods for measuring motor speed.

5. Do all VFDs require a feedback card for motor speed control?

No, not all VFDs require a feedback card for motor speed control. Some VFDs have built-in sensors and algorithms that can accurately measure and control motor speed without the need for a feedback card. It ultimately depends on the specific VFD and its capabilities.