Do I need a police clearance certificate?

• Thread starter apples
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for your help!In summary, the teacher told me that I should take a police clearance certificate and an x-ray of my chest if I want a job in the US. I think this is because they want to be sure I don't have any criminal records. However, this is not required for a US citizen. I should make sure I'm up to date on my vaccinations and anything else I need to do to enroll in school.
apples
I was born in California, lived there for I don't know how many years, then shifted to another country with my parents because of my dad's job, and our financial situation. i am a US citizen.
Anyhow, I'm coming back after a while. I think it's been 12 years since I left USA.
Now, once of my teachers at high school told me that i should take a police clearance certificate and an x-ray of my chest if I want a job there.
After searching on google a bit, I think police clearance certificates are for immigrants only.
Is this true, did my teacher mistake me for a non-us citizen?

Also, do I need to get a medical certificate? any vaccinations? what does the medical certificate have to say?

Thanks a lot,

need lots of help!

apples

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are a US citizen, you shouldn't need anything. You are just a US citizen living abroad and returning doesn't require anything other than your US Passport.

It could mean that they want a Police Clearance Certificate from the country that you have been in the last 12 years to assure themselves that you do not have a criminal record overseas.

The x-ray would likely be to be sure that you do not have TB. I suspect that what they really want is a medical clearance, that a thorough check up and a letter from your doctor might suffice. He may want an x-ray in any event.

LowlyPion said:
It could mean that they want a Police Clearance Certificate from the country that you have been in the last 12 years to assure themselves that you do not have a criminal record overseas.

The x-ray would likely be to be sure that you do not have TB. I suspect that what they really want is a medical clearance, that a thorough check up and a letter from your doctor might suffice. He may want an x-ray in any event.

He's a US citizen. He's entering his OWN country.

JasonRox said:
He's a US citizen. He's entering his OWN country.

I understand. I wasn't referring to re-entry requirements for US citizens.

apples said:
Now, once of my teachers at high school told me that i should take a police clearance certificate and an x-ray of my chest if I want a job there.

It didn't strike me that this was his question. I was referring to potential requirements for employment.

OK, that's great.
Thanks a lot people.

As for vaccinations, you probably already had to update those to enroll in school, just as every other student has to do to enroll in school. If you somehow managed to slip through the cracks on that, you should make sure you're up to date on everything you should be, especially if you plan to go on to university here too (you'll need them to enroll there). If you don't have records of all your vaccinations, they can do a blood test to check your antibody titers to document that you've been immunized, or get revaccinated.

I had never even heard of a police clearance certificate before, so no, citizens don't need that (maybe if you apply to some job that requires special security clearance...I'm not sure what documentation goes into that besides having federal agents show up at the homes of friends and family to ask about you, but it's unlikely you're doing that straight out of high school anyway).

LowlyPion said:

I think that the Pion is right. When I look up 'police clearance certificate' it always refers to getting these certificates from the country you have been in. In this case you would need to contact the consulate of the country you were in or, if one does not exist in the US, contact some agency from the particular country.

What is a police clearance certificate?

A police clearance certificate is an official document issued by a law enforcement agency that states whether or not an individual has a criminal record or any pending criminal charges.

Why do I need a police clearance certificate?

A police clearance certificate may be required for various reasons, such as employment, immigration, or travel. It is often used as a way to verify an individual's character and background.

How do I obtain a police clearance certificate?

The process for obtaining a police clearance certificate varies depending on the country or state. In most cases, you will need to submit a request to the local law enforcement agency and provide personal information, such as your name, date of birth, and identification documents.

How long does it take to get a police clearance certificate?

The processing time for a police clearance certificate can vary greatly, ranging from a few days to several weeks. It depends on the jurisdiction and the number of requests they receive.

Do I need a police clearance certificate from every country I have lived in?

In most cases, you will only need a police clearance certificate from the country where you currently reside. However, if you have lived in multiple countries, it is best to check with the relevant authorities to determine if additional certificates are required.