Do Photons Move Slower in a Solid Medium? - Comments

In summary, this article describes how photons interact with collective excitations, which can reduce their phase velocity.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
ZapperZ submitted a new PF Insights post

Do Photons Move Slower in a Solid Medium?

photonsmedium-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Science news on Phys.org
Some questions come to my mind.
1. Can you try to explain how a mirror actually works?
2. Can you expand a bit on translucent materials? Why do some photons get absorbed and others don't? Is the absorption probabilistic, or can it be understood as a cloud of opaque particles in transparent media?

I don't think that phonons are that important to explain dispersion of light in the visible region as addressed in this article. Much more important are electronic excitations of the atoms and molecules making up the substance. If these excitations are coupled, one speaks of excitons in analogy to photons. In deed the electrons have a much larger oscillator strength as compared with the phonons.
Although in transparent media like glass, the eigenfrequencies -or rather broad absorption bands - of these modes lie in the ultraviolet region of the spectrum, they can influence the propagation of light in the visible region. The point is that, though nonresonant, the electric field of the light wave can drive forced polarization of the electron clouds. Now ,- well below the resonance frequency - while the phase of the polarisation will be in phase with the driving field, the electric field radiated by the polarisation will lag behind by 90 degrees. This increasing phase lag is nothing else but a reduction of phase velocity.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that the phonon polariton model described in this article is dominant only at very far infrared frequencies. I believe the dipole interaction with bound electrons becomes dominant at optical frequencies. (I thought a dressed photon state was called a polariton, not an exciton, by the way.)

It might be worth mentioning therefore that this article describes one example of the various ways photons interact with collective excitations?

Daz, you are obviously right, I wanted to say "in analogy to phonons" not photons. One can speak of exciton-polaritons and phonon-polaritons.

1. Why do photons slow down in a solid medium?

Photons slow down in a solid medium because they interact with the atoms and molecules of the material. This interaction causes the photons to be absorbed and re-emitted, which creates a delay in their movement through the material.

2. Does this mean that the speed of light is not constant?

The speed of light in a vacuum is always constant at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. However, when light travels through a material, its speed can be slowed down due to interactions with the medium's particles.

3. How does the speed of light in a solid medium compare to its speed in a vacuum?

The speed of light in a solid medium is always less than its speed in a vacuum. The exact amount of decrease depends on the material's properties, but it is typically around 30-40% slower.

4. Does the wavelength of light change when it travels through a solid medium?

Yes, the wavelength of light can change when it travels through a solid medium. This is because the speed of light is inversely proportional to its wavelength, so as the speed decreases in a solid medium, the wavelength also decreases.

5. Are there any materials in which light can travel faster than its speed in a vacuum?

Yes, in certain specialized materials called metamaterials, light can travel faster than its speed in a vacuum. This is due to the unique properties of these materials, which allow for the manipulation of light in unconventional ways.