Do sedentary people shrink?

• Medical
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I spent the last 5 years of my life almost entirely sitting in front of a PC. I'm 1.75 m height while my dad, uncles and of most of young male of my age are at least 1.80 m height.

I was thinking if that is due to my lack of body exercise. Did my behaviour of sitting down all the day contribute for me stop growing up? If I keep this life-style (aside of other health issues), is it likely that I will become even smaller than I'm now?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Have you done any research on this before posting your question? If so, what have you found out?

Yes, as I usually do with all questions I have. Did not find answers, thus started the thread.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Yeah all I could find was about mental shrinkage but doesn't seem to be any indication that being sedentary causes more spine shrinkage than not. Maybe we'll have a medical expert here who'll know.

Reactions: kent davidge
jim mcnamara
Mentor
"Shrinking" is usually associated with age - osteoporosis and sometimes sarcopenia. Regular exercise strengthens bone - makes bone denser. I read a short clinical paper on bone density in an active professional baseball pitcher who was older than all other MLB pitchers at that time. He was left-handed. There was significant difference in bone density - high in the left humerus, lower in the right. Exercise counteracted some of the effects of ageing on bone density.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/height
This shows that about 80% of height is genetic, ~20% is environmental - diet and exercise. We cannot conclude anything about your case, nor should we.
You can go from here.

Reactions: Laroxe and kent davidge