Can a Sedentary Lifestyle Stunt Growth?

• Medical
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of one's height being affected by a sedentary lifestyle. The person is concerned that their lack of physical activity may have contributed to their shorter height compared to their family members. However, research shows that height is mostly determined by genetics, with only a small portion being influenced by environmental factors such as exercise and diet. Therefore, it is difficult to determine if the person's behavior has affected their height and a medical expert may have more insight on the topic.
kent davidge
I spent the last 5 years of my life almost entirely sitting in front of a PC. I'm 1.75 m height while my dad, uncles and of most of young male of my age are at least 1.80 m height.

I was thinking if that is due to my lack of body exercise. Did my behaviour of sitting down all the day contribute for me stop growing up? If I keep this life-style (aside of other health issues), is it likely that I will become even smaller than I'm now?

Biology news on Phys.org
Have you done any research on this before posting your question? If so, what have you found out?

Yes, as I usually do with all questions I have. Did not find answers, thus started the thread.

Yeah all I could find was about mental shrinkage but doesn't seem to be any indication that being sedentary causes more spine shrinkage than not. Maybe we'll have a medical expert here who'll know.

Likes kent davidge
"Shrinking" is usually associated with age - osteoporosis and sometimes sarcopenia. Regular exercise strengthens bone - makes bone denser. I read a short clinical paper on bone density in an active professional baseball pitcher who was older than all other MLB pitchers at that time. He was left-handed. There was significant difference in bone density - high in the left humerus, lower in the right. Exercise counteracted some of the effects of ageing on bone density.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/height
This shows that about 80% of height is genetic, ~20% is environmental - diet and exercise. We cannot conclude anything about your case, nor should we.
You can go from here.

Likes Laroxe and kent davidge

1. How does a sedentary lifestyle affect height?

Sedentary individuals may experience a slight decrease in height over time due to the lack of physical activity. This is because physical activity helps to strengthen and maintain the muscles and bones that support our body's structure. Without regular movement and exercise, these structures can weaken, causing a slight decrease in height.

2. Can sedentary people regain their lost height?

While it is possible for sedentary individuals to regain some of their lost height through proper exercise and physical activity, it is important to note that the amount of height regained may vary and will depend on factors such as age and overall health. It is always beneficial to incorporate regular exercise into one's lifestyle to maintain overall health and prevent further height loss.

3. Are there any long-term effects of being sedentary on height?

Yes, long-term sedentary behavior can have negative effects on height, as well as overall health. Prolonged periods of inactivity can lead to muscle loss, weakened bones, and poor posture - all of which can contribute to a decrease in height over time.

4. Is stretching enough to prevent height loss in sedentary individuals?

Stretching can certainly help to improve flexibility and maintain range of motion, but it may not be enough to prevent height loss in sedentary individuals. To maintain overall health and prevent height loss, it is important to incorporate a variety of physical activities, including strength training and aerobic exercise, into one's routine.

5. Can sedentary behavior affect spinal health and lead to height loss?

Yes, prolonged periods of sitting or inactivity can have a negative impact on spinal health, leading to changes in posture and potentially causing a decrease in height. Regular exercise and movement can help to maintain spinal health and prevent height loss in sedentary individuals.