Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Do soap bubbles reflect sound?

1. May 29, 2016 #1
    Bats in my garden do not seem to notice soap bubbles. Do soap bubbles reflect sound?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2016 #2
    Probably only very weakly since soap bubbles are elastic and will absorb a lot of sound rather than reflecting it.
    Any sound which does reflect is probably beneath the bat's hearing sensitivity

4. May 29, 2016 #3
    On the other hand, according to classical physics the reflection coefficient is R = (Z1-Z2)2 / (Z1+Z2)2, where Z=ρc is acoustic impedance and Zair<<Zwater. That implies R≈1 due to the huge impedance mismatch.

5. May 29, 2016 #4
    But since the soapy water film is much thinner than it is wide, one has to take into account the kinematics of the film and air resistance on the film as it vibrates. For similar reasons a thick wood panel will reflect much more sound than a sheet of facial tissue will.

6. May 29, 2016 #5
    I remember an article about a recording studio (I forget where).
    The idea was that studio setup would as best as possible capture instruments and vocals with minimal complication from sound reflection.
    The solution was covering most of walls and ceiling with plastic foam bubbles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted