Do we have momentum in traveling in time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time as a dimension and its potential connection to energy and momentum. There is a suggestion that the passage of time may be affected by gravity and an idea for an experiment to measure relative time. The conversation also touches on the four-vector approach in relativity and the relationship between momentum and energy. However, the participants are reminded not to offer speculations without considering what has already been learned by physicists.
1832vin
this may sound extra ridiculous
there's stuff like time evolution for wave functions, and a lot to do with time
but I've thought, isn't time also a dimention? ( i know it's not a spatial dimention, but does it mean it has completely different properties?)
since we are traveling in time at a constant rate (we presume), as like traveling through spatial dimentions, does it mean there's energy to it? and as you travel close to the speed of light, you experience time less (due to time dilation and others)
then does it mean the higher energy(in spatial dimention) = less energy in time dimention?
traveling at a speed means have energy to accelerate and decelerate other objects
why would we return back to normal time progression after time dialation>? where did we got that energy(time energy?) back?

and where did the energy came from to make us move foward in time?

Likes member 11137
Physics news on Phys.org
Momentun in time direction is exactly the definition of Energy.

Likes 1832vin
1832vin said:
this may sound extra ridiculous
there's stuff like time evolution for wave functions, and a lot to do with time
but I've thought, isn't time also a dimention? ( i know it's not a spatial dimention, but does it mean it has completely different properties?)
since we are traveling in time at a constant rate (we presume), as like traveling through spatial dimentions, does it mean there's energy to it? and as you travel close to the speed of light, you experience time less (due to time dilation and others)
then does it mean the higher energy(in spatial dimention) = less energy in time dimention?
traveling at a speed means have energy to accelerate and decelerate other objects
why would we return back to normal time progression after time dialation>? where did we got that energy(time energy?) back?

and where did the energy came from to make us move foward in time?
In my eyes, fundamental questions are never ridiculous. Thanks for questioning and questioning again. We usually don't take the time to ask how all this (our world) works.

Strictly speaking, I'd have to venture a no. Light has no weight, and thus no momentum. Time, as far as we know, doesn't have matter. It isn't composed of matter.

In a more abstract sense though, its possible. However, much of this question is relative since we don't have any obvious way to create controlled and testable conditions. Perhaps the passage of time, unbeknownst to us, has been slowing or speeding up since the big bang!

We do know that gravity has some subtle but well known effects on time. Imagine a satellite in a highly elliptical orbit. As it reaches its periapsis (lowest point of orbit), it will be moving away from its parent body for half its journey, and thus experiencing less gravity. If time did have momentum, then with each orbit, time would stretch and compress, spending some form of energy. Without positing some unsupported extra-dimensional banking of time-energy, this behavior should stop as the energy source depletes. I speculate that this doesn't happen.

Okay I'm getting a bit lost with this thought experiment, take it for what's it is - half baked.

Right said:
Strictly speaking, I'd have to venture a no. Light has no weight, and thus no momentum. Time, as far as we know, doesn't have matter. It isn't composed of matter.

In a more abstract sense though, its possible. However, much of this question is relative since we don't have any obvious way to create controlled and testable conditions. Perhaps the passage of time, unbeknownst to us, has been slowing or speeding up since the big bang!

We do know that gravity has some subtle but well known effects on time. Imagine a satellite in a highly elliptical orbit. As it reaches its periapsis (lowest point of orbit), it will be moving away from its parent body for half its journey, and thus experiencing less gravity. If time did have momentum, then with each orbit, time would stretch and compress, spending some form of energy. Without positing some unsupported extra-dimensional banking of time-energy, this behavior should stop as the energy source depletes. I speculate that this doesn't happen.

Okay I'm getting a bit lost with this thought experiment, take it for what's it is - half baked.

interesting thought experiment, and I'm going to try expanding on it

but the problem is, that we cannot measure relative time, (well we can, but not in a way that we can compare it)
we might want to make an oscillator that oscillates close to the speed of light, or a spinning device
then we might be able to get some relative time comparisons

Right said:
Light has no weight, and thus no momentum.
I assume you mean Mass, here. Light (photons) certainly do have momentum, despite being massless. The momentum of a photon is h/λ so you can see, as it is inversely proportional to wavelength, the momentum gets higher as the frequency (c/λ) increases. Direct evidence of this is Light Pressure (look it up).
The definition you are using for momentum only refers to the momentum of objects that have mass. That works fine for most purposes, involving mechanical problems.

This thread is starting to drift into speculation here.

It is indeed possible and even natural to treat time as a dimension. When we do, we can still describe motion using vectors, except that instead of having three components (x, y, and z) the momentum "four-vector" has four components (x, y, z, and t). This four-vector approach is an important part of the modern formulation of special relativity and is essential to move on into general relativity. And as arivero hinted in post #2 above, when you write the momentum as a four-vector, its time component becomes the energy of the object.

We're leaving this thread open for now, but it would be a good thing if all participants would first google for "momentum four-vector", ask questions about what they don't understand, but not offer speculations that ignore what physicists have already learned over the past century.

Yes, I meant mass. And I stand corrected! Silly me with my Newtonian thinking. o0)

I can take a hint Nugatory.

Related to Do we have momentum in traveling in time?

1. What is momentum in traveling in time?

Momentum in traveling in time refers to the idea that an object or person has a certain amount of energy and direction while moving through time. This concept is based on the laws of physics which state that an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force.

2. How does momentum affect time travel?

Momentum plays a crucial role in time travel as it determines the speed and direction at which an object or person travels through time. In order to successfully travel through time, one must have enough momentum to overcome the resistance of time and space.

3. Can momentum be created or destroyed during time travel?

According to the laws of physics, momentum cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred from one object to another. This means that while traveling through time, momentum will remain constant, but it may change direction or be transferred to another object or person.

4. How does the concept of relativity relate to momentum in time travel?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, states that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that the momentum of an object or person traveling through time can be influenced by these factors, potentially altering the speed and direction of the journey.

5. Is momentum necessary for time travel to occur?

While momentum is not a requirement for time travel, it is a crucial factor in determining the success and speed of the journey. Without enough momentum, it may be difficult or even impossible to overcome the resistance of time and space and travel through time.