Musical Chills: Do You Experience Them?

• Music
  • Thread starter fuzzyfelt
  • Start date
In summary: Some music that gives me the chills:Conquest of ParadiseEt les oiseaux chantaientMay it bedeliver meEt les oiseaux chantaientMay it bedeliver me
Another tune that gets me - Yellow Moon by the Neville Brothers, joined by John Hiatt. You'll notice a famous (now deceased) journalist among the fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
rhody said:
alt,

One more thing, the chills may run down one side of my body and not the other, or just the middle of my back when the endorphins are released, they may or may not result in "real" goose bumps, the feeling is the same nonetheless.

I understand exactly what you mean, even the goose bumps or lack thereof.

Next time you listen to that Pink Floyd rift that causes it, about 10 seconds before it happens, slowly turn the volume off, and let your mind produce the sensation, works for me EVERY time :cool:. Which goes to prove something profound about how your brain maps then reconstructs reality. To some degree familiar things such as songs, etc...in the real world have been absorbed, cataloged, and then replayed when that song is played for real.

Fascinating. I've never thought of that exersise. I'll try it soon.

How may times has someone close to you asked a question in a sentence say 15 words or so, and after the first three words (you pick up on subtle details, inflection of voice, pitch, speed of delivery, etc...) and you know their behavior so well you simply answer the question before they have a chance to finish. I do it all the time and it bugs people to no end, hehe.

Rhody...

Yes, happens often. I can't say it is the same thing as we've been discussing though - this is more familiarity and common anticipation. Know and live with a person for many years (spouse, child, etc) and it is quite common. No chills or goosebumps there though as far as I've experienced.

Anyway, back to the main matter. I'll tell you something very interesting. During incidents such as those we've been discussing here, and under circustances as per your (and my additional) list, I have found it of great interest to note and attach to the thought or thoughts that acccompany such a sensation, or that may immediately, perhaps instantly, follow it. I have found such thoughts to be quite profound - startling sometimes, and often, when such thoughts constitute some decision, it is the correct decision.

Now, if I could only induce it at will ..

Vivaldi "et in terra pax"
Some Rachmananov
Dixie Dregs "the introduction"
Van Halen "Eruption" guitar solo, and a new set of chills years later when I slowed it down by a factor of ten. I worked out the physics of it (of course). He plays so fast that some notes only have 4 or 5 cycles present to identify the pitch of the notes. That's the musical equivalent of traveling at 0.2c.

Another very outspoken sudden chill event, one of my favorites is the finale of the Symphony #3 for Organ by Camille Saint-Saëns, especially in combination with the first three parts. These (one two three ) are not bad music at all but nothing too special, it is long though, very long, generating the inclination to check the time and crave for an appropriate drink, and in that mood, the start of the finale is a pleasant chilling surprise the first time and a nice anticipation consecutive times.

I've never experienced chills due to music. I probably never have because I don't enjoy listening to music. I do play violin, viola, guitar, and keyboard. I like playing and composing, but never listening.

I have experienced chills when I'm watching a vid or doing something I love.

More nice posts!

Another chiller and another non-chill person who enjoys music (and also plays instruments and composes), like the other non-chiller.

Andre presents an atmosphere for attention. Volumne is also suppossed to be helpful.

I didn't note the journalist, sorry Turbo.

And alt's experiences of profundity is a fascinating twist!

fuzzyfelt said:
Interesting that some instruments seem to induce it for some. Guitar, like alt says, and trumpets often work for me. Btw, I liked Jigsaw Puzzle Blues, too, Turbo.

Piano works well on me, as does violin.

Agreed on the violin; piano not so much for me.

fuzzyfelt said:
Andre presents an atmosphere for attention. Volume is also supposed to be helpful.

Ah, one more then, it can be the other way around, when volume makes the chills go away. One of my favorite chillers is Ouverture Wilhelm Tell of Giacomo Rossini, used for the bambi scene in Disneys Fantasia. Brilliant.

Part one has a high chill factor especially the phrase starting at 1:04 minutes, it continues in various intensities working towards a new high at the end, in the transition to the second part, most unfortunately you have to start that up seperately. It helps to have that standby. It's the absolute chill top.

But then around 2:30 the volume increases suddenly for a happy cancan-type of finale. Very good music, but gone are the chills.

Last edited:
fuzzyfelt said:
I didn't note the journalist, sorry Turbo.
Ed Bradley was dancing to "Yellow Moon" with a toddler on his shoulders. He was a HUGE fan of the Neville Brothers and was often invited on-stage with them. I don't think he could contribute much musically, apart from enthusiasm.

It occurs to me, reading some posts, that the absence or presence of the chill factor is also contributing to disputes like the Beethoven/Mozart thread, where non chillers may be more impressed by chill-less brilliance (Mozart), the chillers may prefer Beethoven who seemed to know how to trigger that.

Yes, I have experienced this. And I have played several musical instruments in the past. The genre and musical instrument does not seem to be a factor for me. The most recent that I recall is a piano piece by Tom Barabas: "Adagio", from his album "Romantic Rhapsodies".

I can induce chills to some extent at will. I've been able to since I can remember and have asked people about this, those who I asked said they could not.

For them to be very strong I need an external source though. It starts from the upperback and neck then extends down the back and along the arms and head then (if strong enough) legs.

It often happens to me when I watch a film in which there's a heroic inspirational scene. Happens less often with music and it's usually when a singer hits a high and long note that is emotionally powerfully.

Last edited:
Andre said:
It occurs to me, reading some posts, that the absence or presence of the chill factor is also contributing to disputes like the Beethoven/Mozart thread, where non chillers may be more impressed by chill-less brilliance (Mozart), the chillers may prefer Beethoven who seemed to know how to trigger that.

Nice to be looking for patterns amongst individual variations of this experience, however, that doesn’t work for me, Mozart can be chilling for me too.

Interesting thread. I couldn't imagine what it would be like without either's contributions.

TurtleMeister said:
Yes, I have experienced this. And I have played several musical instruments in the past. The genre and musical instrument does not seem to be a factor for me. The most recent that I recall is a piano piece by Tom Barabas: "Adagio", from his album "Romantic Rhapsodies".

Mandark said:
I can induce chills to some extent at will. I've been able to since I can remember and have asked people about this, those who I asked said they could not.

For them to be very strong I need an external source though. It starts from the upperback and neck then extends down the back and along the arms and head then (if strong enough) legs.

It often happens to me when I watch a film in which there's a heroic inspirational scene. Happens less often with music and it's usually when a singer hits a high and long note that is emotionally powerfully.

Two more chillers, and a second person able to control chills, great!

And great enthusiasm from Ed Bradley!

Andre said:
Adrian Legg has composed and recorded some beautiful music that can sound like you need three hands to play it. Fantastic guitarist, but no chills for me. I prefer really raucous blues like this number by Johnny Winter.

Maybe my excuse for not getting chills is i can only hear in my right ear.

I am a musician, in fact my paternal ancestry were all very musical. I do experience the chill sensation with many genres of music, but realize, after listening to several suggested pieces mentioned on this thread, it depends on your own personal taste. I want to also mention, these emotions were not as pronounced in my formative years, but have become more intense in adulthood.

We realize, music covers more than melody and harmony. I am not a percussionist, yet when I watch Phil Collins casually walk up to his drum set and bang out those familiar beats during 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV6KZpnEak"', it is spine chilling. The audience also weighs in on this. Watching it performed live (even over the net) generates a shared experience and response.

Whenever I watch "Copying Beethoven", the scenes where he is conducting his 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L9DWiUp2oQ" are mesmerizing. No doubt, watching the hardships he overcomes, leading up to the performance, builds intensity leading to a spine tingling performance. You are not just enjoying the music but feeling the intense emotion the composer has put into his piece. My eyes well up with tears and overflow when the full chorus joins in. You can get 'just a taste', from the above referenced clip.

Watching the film, 'Music of the Heart' which features a piece by Bach, his 'Concerto in D minor for Two Violins'. Again, it is all the hard work and hardships overcome, culminates in a heartfelt performance which induce chills and tears of joy.

When I am performing either vocal or playing an instrument in ensemble, certain passages generate a chilling emotion which feeds back and often allow me to convey this emotion through my instrument. You can see this on the faces of any of the great blues guitarists (e.g. BB King, Eric Clapton) during their solos or Itzhak Perlman while playing a sensitive violin piece.

Apparently the synergy of visual and auditory stimulation, heighten these emotions.

wolram said:
Maybe my excuse for not getting chills is i can only hear in my right ear.
I have a friend that is deaf in one ear. He has a KILLER stereo. Why?

Ouabache said:
I am a musician, in fact my paternal ancestry were all very musical. I do experience the chill sensation with many genres of music, but realize, after listening to several suggested pieces mentioned on this thread, it depends on your own personal taste. I want to also mention, these emotions were not as pronounced in my formative years, but have become more intense in adulthood.

We realize, music covers more than melody and harmony. I am not a percussionist, yet when I watch Phil Collins casually walk up to his drum set and bang out those familiar beats during 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV6KZpnEak"', it is spine chilling. The audience also weighs in on this. Watching it performed live (even over the net) generates a shared experience and response.

Whenever I watch "Copying Beethoven", the scenes where he is conducting his 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L9DWiUp2oQ" are mesmerizing. No doubt, watching the hardships he overcomes, leading up to the performance, builds intensity leading to a spine tingling performance. You are not just enjoying the music but feeling the intense emotion the composer has put into his piece. My eyes well up with tears and overflow when the full chorus joins in. You can get 'just a taste', from the above referenced clip.

Watching the film, 'Music of the Heart' which features a piece by Bach, his 'Concerto in D minor for Two Violins'. Again, it is all the hard work and hardships overcome, culminates in a heartfelt performance which induce chills and tears of joy.

When I am performing either vocal or playing an instrument in ensemble, certain passages generate a chilling emotion which feeds back and often allow me to convey this emotion through my instrument. You can see this on the faces of any of the great blues guitarists (e.g. BB King, Eric Clapton) during their solos or Itzhak Perlman while playing a sensitive violin piece.

Apparently the synergy of visual and auditory stimulation, heighten these emotions.

I’ve really enjoyed this post.

I agree that a lot depends on personal taste, although wonder how so.

Percussion hasn't been considered enough. I think personally I like percussion when it can stand out amongst a rather monotonous melody with strong rhythm, like in Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, Stooges, sorts of songs, but I'll consider it further. I think Turbo likes cowbell :biggrin:

About the "Copying Beethoven" scene- Wow!

I'm pleased you've mentioned tears of joy, and find ideas the ideas about visual and auditory stimulation really interesting.

My favorite Led Zep member was Bonham. He MADE that band. When I took up drumming, I started listening to drummers a lot more intently, and he really stood out from the pack, as did Corky Laing of Mountain.

fuzzyfelt said:
I know this feeling well and had avoided mentioning it because it might make the thread too complicated. I remember writing a long time ago here that Beethoven’s 7th symphony makes me cry- it still does, and other pieces do too.

I haven’t been able to pin-point the emotion, sometimes I think it is just awe, other times it seems to accentuate an emotion I’m already feeling, especially sadness. It seems cathartic.

:cry:

Good to hear you enjoyed the Copying Beethoven clip. It is only a small taste of the powerful scenes in this film. And quite interesting you mention Beethoven's 7th Symph and reference the Allegretto (2nd mvmt). In the film, an older woman who lives down the hall from Ludwig relates to his copyist Anna, why she would never move. She says, she is the envy of all Vienna. She gets to hear all his symphonies before anyone. For instance in his 7th, in her thin elderly voice she sings several lines of the same movement you referenced. As you hear her sing, in our mind we fill in all the lush harmonies and full orchestration. I agree it's a very moving portion of this piece, and stirs a well of emotions. I sense you may enjoy viewing this film. (I borrowed a copy from the public library).

Superb music gives me a chill, but different than when seeing my girlfriend.

Such music gives me flashbacks with profound emotions; my girlfriend sends chills up my spine while keeping me warm.

turbo-1 said:

He's just dying to get the vibes ?

Ouabache said:
Good to hear you enjoyed the Copying Beethoven clip. It is only a small taste of the powerful scenes in this film. And quite interesting you mention Beethoven's 7th Symph and reference the Allegretto (2nd mvmt). In the film, an older woman who lives down the hall from Ludwig relates to his copyist Anna, why she would never move. She says, she is the envy of all Vienna. She gets to hear all his symphonies before anyone. For instance in his 7th, in her thin elderly voice she sings several lines of the same movement you referenced. As you hear her sing, in our mind we fill in all the lush harmonies and full orchestration. I agree it's a very moving portion of this piece, and stirs a well of emotions. I sense you may enjoy viewing this film. (I borrowed a copy from the public library).

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll find it and am sure I'll enjoy it.

turbo-1 said:

Maybe you're mixing the causations up here? If it's a KILLER stereo, it would make sense if it deafened one of his ears.

I believe I have read that Hollywood scoring evolved a vocabulary of evocative emotional techniques from the ragtime piano that was used to accompany silent movies before the music could be recorded and played back in sync with the video.

It's interesting to pay attention to the musical score when you're watching a movie because you can look at the videography as punctuating the story of the music, even though in practice I think the music is usually written to go along with the edited finished product.

I believe I have also read that music evolved to take the place of the narration used in early cinema as explicit narration became unpopular. Music builds tension to tell the audience to get ready for something big to happen, or it sings for joy for you so that your heart can feel elated at a certain outcome.

Film music basically scripts the audience's emotions, which is sort of unsettling if you think about it, but probably many people's emotions are scripted by all types of music throughout their daily lives, not just film scores. I sometimes wonder what would happen to people if they had to drive around in their cars without radio or spend their days without an mp3 player.

Yes and I find them frustrating. After longer listening sessions I get very clammy such that I just have to stop. I never really stopped to think how strange the causality here is. Sound causes perspiration.

Negatron said:
Yes and I find them frustrating. After longer listening sessions I get very clammy such that I just have to stop. I never really stopped to think how strange the causality here is. Sound causes perspiration.

Wow, I haven't heard of that causality before! From what you say it seems to make it a less pleasant experience?

brainstorm said:
I believe I have read that Hollywood scoring evolved a vocabulary of evocative emotional techniques from the ragtime piano that was used to accompany silent movies before the music could be recorded and played back in sync with the video.

It's interesting to pay attention to the musical score when you're watching a movie because you can look at the videography as punctuating the story of the music, even though in practice I think the music is usually written to go along with the edited finished product.

I believe I have also read that music evolved to take the place of the narration used in early cinema as explicit narration became unpopular. Music builds tension to tell the audience to get ready for something big to happen, or it sings for joy for you so that your heart can feel elated at a certain outcome.

Film music basically scripts the audience's emotions, which is sort of unsettling if you think about it, but probably many people's emotions are scripted by all types of music throughout their daily lives, not just film scores. I sometimes wonder what would happen to people if they had to drive around in their cars without radio or spend their days without an mp3 player.

Thanks for this! It is fascinating that the discussion has moved toward emotions evoked by vision and sound combinations by watching performers play or in film. Rosen, 1980, reminds us that listening to music relatively autonomously is not an historical but recent development.

I think those successful at combining the two for advertising/marketing purposes are often successful with film scores, and seem able to convey more specific emotions, e.g.,
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2010/05/20/rsbl.2010.0333.full

A well known example of this combination in film would be the water shots in “Jaws”, and the accompanying music, building fearful tension, but which visually isolated could seem rather innocuous. I like brainstorm's mention of films singing for joy, too. There are many papers on music adding depth and meaning to vision, some mentioned in this paper, along with the reverse: the effect of vision on music-
http://thesis.haverford.edu/dspace/bitstream/10066/1015/1/2007FieldB.pdf

From this, successful sound may direct more specific emotional or meaningful interpretation, from more ambiguous possibilities, and vice-versa, and possibly this may be an interpretation not likely to be evoked from only one stimulus.

Regarding music, Cross suggests music is “floating intentionality”, special in being a “medium for metaphor”, possibly crucial for the emergence of cross-domain activity in modern humans, to our advantage. http://www.mus.cam.ac.uk/~ic108/PDF/IRMCMC03.pdf
Although, music might allow movement and comparison between domains, which may be vital for the ability to do this, which is in turn significant to human experience and survival, given things like the reverse effect paper, it could be that this possibly “floating intentionality” isn’t just limited to music.

I only get it when I listen to Prince and it happens on a regular occurance.

I don't play any musical instruments

It gives me chills, but not if I listen to the same song more than 3 times. I even cried when listening to Sagan's science remixes (totally divorced from the feeling of the usual musical chills btw). My brain had some type of 'gasm'. I do not suffer from emotional instability.

Logger said:
I only get it when I listen to Prince and it happens on a regular occurance.

I don't play any musical instruments

Restricted to Prince? Interesting limitation.

imiyakawa said:
It gives me chills, but not if I listen to the same song more than 3 times. I even cried when listening to Sagan's science remixes (totally divorced from the feeling of the usual musical chills btw). My brain had some type of 'gasm'. I do not suffer from emotional instability.

I think there may be at least two different things discussed in this thread, one being chills and another, emotion.

Danger said:
Glueball, I bet that you would love Marc Wood's stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wood_(violinist )
"Monkeybats" from his "Voodoo Magic" album just blows my mind.

I am quoting my own post because it's far too late to edit the original and it needs to be corrected. Mark's album is "Voodoo Violence" rather than what I first posted. Sorry.