Managing Anger: Tips for Keeping Your Temper in Check

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, not meek, but mild. A few things will get under my skin, but I usually manage them well. I am emotionally stable and have become good at managing my emotions.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do you have a bad temper or are you all ways meek and mild?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a sweet, mild disposition and will kill the first person who says I don't.

wolram said:
meek and mild?

Those are quite different things, to be accused of the former is almost enough to make me lose my temper :devil:

To answer the question I am pretty much always mild. In my experience getting angry to the point that you lose your temper and act aggressively/confrontationally is pretty much never a way to get things done. Sure it temporarily makes you feel good but has it actually solved anything? Generally no. Will it make things worse in future if the problem is ongoing? Probably yes.

zoobyshoe said:
I have a sweet, mild disposition and will kill the first person who says I don't.

Yeah, me too, except I'm likely to torture them first.

zoobyshoe said:

You don't.

I am a "type A" personality and sometimes have a temper. Luckily I have never lost my cool while in a professional capacity. I'm definitely high strung.

Edit: Writing the above and realizing how much of an understatement it is and how much history of high blood pressure and heart disease in my family there is makes me realize I will almost certainly die young of a heart attack.

Last edited:
WannabeNewton said:
You don't.
Now, let's see, where did I put my ka-bar?

I am the personification of Ares and will feed cookies to anyone who says otherwise.

Enigman said:
I am the personification of Ares and will feed cookies to anyone who says otherwise.
Well, what kind of cookies are you talking about here?

I am gentle until ...

zoobyshoe said:
Well, what kind of cookies are you talking about here?
Raisin.
zoobyshoe said:

So... the second person's safe?

Enigman said:
Raisin.
Bleh. You are the personification of Ares.

wolram said:

Er... well...

75019_556101857734464_1594252090_n.jpg

Likes 1 person
ZombieFeynman said:
I am a "type A" personality and sometimes have a temper. Luckily I have never lost my cool while in a professional capacity. I'm definitely high strung.

Edit: Writing the above and realizing how much of an understatement it is and how much history of high blood pressure and heart disease in my family there is makes me realize I will almost certainly die young of a heart attack.

Perhaps you should try to learn to relax and not get so high strung. Just saying. :smile:

wolram said:

Who says the two are mutually exclusive?

I'm a closet type A.

StatGuy2000 said:
Perhaps you should try to learn to relax and not get so high strung. Just saying. :smile:

That would be like trying to teach a dog not to pee on bushes. Easier said than done.

wolram said:
Do you have a bad temper [...]?
No, not usually. But when I hear something about Tesla, I reach for my railgun.
More Hulk for the people:

https://d2nh4f9cbhlobh.cloudfront.net/_uploads/images/hulk-make-love.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is capable of angering me.

I can go from ground level to orbit in a matter of seconds, stay up there for a day or two then come back down.

I'd describe myself as emotionally stable. I don't veer off either side of the road very often.

But, it does happen sometimes. Usually, it's because something has been eating at me.

Also I can't stand watching cruelty or injustice. It gets under my skin, and then I might do/say something I would later describe as unwise.

Not to be too serious, but it helps if you keep track of where you are emotions-wise and manage it effectively. It took me a pretty long time, but I think I have improved on it. The realization of the effects of emotions on blood chemistry has also helped me try to level off so that I don't have to spend a few days rebalancing myself. It also helps if one takes more of an attitude of doing something in response. Not preaching , I am still working on it, and still some way to go.

I have become a sort of the daily life version of the "Burn Notice" main guy, some people tell me.

Last edited:
I am the one in the flam whose temper just tossed the ham in the frying pan (Cypress Hill). Still trying to figure out that line; I guess I am not really that "street".

1. What causes someone to become easily angered?

There are many potential factors that can contribute to a person's tendency to become easily angered. Some common causes include stress, past experiences, unrealistic expectations, and certain mental health conditions such as anxiety or depression.

2. Is being easily angered a sign of a personality disorder?

While being easily angered can be a symptom of certain personality disorders, it is not always indicative of a disorder. It is important to consider other factors and seek professional help if the anger is significantly impacting daily life.

3. Can someone learn to control their anger?

Yes, with the help of therapy and/or anger management techniques, individuals can learn to control their anger and express it in a healthy way. It may require practice and patience, but it is possible to improve anger management skills.

4. How does being easily angered affect relationships?

Being easily angered can strain relationships and lead to conflict and misunderstandings. It may also cause others to feel uncomfortable or avoid interacting with the person. Seeking help and learning to manage anger can improve relationships and overall well-being.

5. Is being easily angered a permanent trait?

No, being easily angered is not a permanent trait. It may be a pattern of behavior that has developed over time, but with effort and support, it can be changed. It is important to address the root causes and learn coping mechanisms to manage anger in a healthier way.