Do you know where your DNA is tonight?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary: But as with nature, mandates and controls would have to be put in place to maintain order and prevent abuse. :shrug:In summary, your DNA has migrated to many different places and has been incorporated into various forms of life.
Loren Booda
Where to and how far has your DNA migrated? Has it been incorporated by bacteria, transformed into viral RNA, preserved in permafrost, digested by animals, absorbed by plants, lofted miles into the atmosphere, tunnelled through subterranean aquifers, or passed on in some semblance to the next generation?

Biology news on Phys.org
I spit out a piece of gum at a truck stop once. This stray dog ran over to it and ate it. A week later I stepped in some dog doo-doo. When I looked at the bottom of my shoe, a microbe called me 'daddy'. The voice was faint, but unmistakeably familiar.

Chronos said:
I spit out a piece of gum at a truck stop once. This stray dog ran over to it and ate it. A week later I stepped in some dog doo-doo. When I looked at the bottom of my shoe, a microbe called me 'daddy'. The voice was faint, but unmistakeably familiar.

:rofl: I manage to keep most of my DNA with me at all times, but also seem to shed just enough of it to prevent me from ever being able to commit the perfect crime. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I manage to keep most of my DNA with me at all times, but also seem to shed just enough of it to prevent me from ever being able to commit the perfect crime. :tongue:
:rofl: You killed me without any witnesses. It may not be the perfect crime, but even a really bad lawyer can get you acquited.

I picture a "DNA registry" of the future, as much a biographical museum as forensic resource. The whole data for reproducing the human race could fit in quantum memory roughly within the "head of a pin," and for Biota overall, within a cubic centimeter. As in nature, both relatively perfect and defective would be welcome into this collective.

1. Where is my DNA located?

Your DNA is found in the nucleus of your cells.

2. How does DNA stay organized inside the nucleus?

DNA is wrapped tightly around proteins called histones, which help to compact and organize the DNA into structures called chromosomes.

3. Can DNA be found outside of the nucleus?

Yes, a small amount of DNA can also be found in the mitochondria, which are organelles responsible for energy production in the cell.

4. Is DNA the same in every cell of my body?

Yes, your DNA is identical in every cell of your body, with the exception of a few rare cases of genetic mutations.

5. How does DNA determine my traits?

DNA contains genes, which are segments of DNA that code for specific traits. These genes are expressed through a complex process involving other molecules and environmental factors.