Do you know where your parents met?

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
In summary, a bit of a history thread discusses how two people met. One interesting detail is that the two met while riding a rollercoaster and the other detail is that the two met at a dining commons at UCLA.
hbk4894
a bit of a history thread

mine met in a nightclub i think.

Physics news on Phys.org
My parents met in an odd matter. My mom got arrested for crossing illegally through Texas from Mexico. A non-profit bailed her out, and the person whose house they would normally let her stay at got foreclosed because the owner lost his job. Anyway, the person who drove my mom from jail needed to find a place immediately and the only number he could remember off the top of his head was my dad. My dad said he didn't mind someone taking his spare bedroom for a short time.

37 years later he still complains that she hasn't moved out :).

Likes CrazyNinja, OmCheeto and Silicon Waffle
MarneMath said:
My parents met in an odd matter. My mom got arrested for crossing illegally through Texas from Mexico. A non-profit bailed her out, and the person whose house they would normally let her stay at got foreclosed because the owner lost his job. Anyway, the person who drove my mom from jail needed to find a place immediately and the only number he could remember off the top of his head was my dad. My dad said he didn't mind someone taking his spare bedroom for a short time.

37 years later he still complains that she hasn't moved out :).

That's a fascinating story of how your parents met.

My parents met in an unusual/unorthodox manner as well. My father had an early interest in Japan (stimulated from a childhood friend who was half-Japanese), and majored in East Asian studies at his alma mater in the US. He then subsequently moved to Japan to teach English to local students and business executives, and met my mother in the apartment building where they both lived at the time (the neighbourhood where they lived in Japan had a large # of expats from the various countries, including the US, Canada, the UK, France, Sri Lanka, etc.).

The rest, as the saying goes, is history!

Likes Silicon Waffle
My mom was underage in a bar :biggrin:

Likes CrazyNinja, collinsmark, S.G. Janssens and 1 other person
My parents met riding a rollercoaster at Glen Echo Park (now closed). My mom was sitting with two friends, one seat was vacant (4 seater). My dad was next in line. There was a long line of people waiting to get on, so the attendant asked if it was okay if my dad were to sit in, next to my mom.

Apparently it was more than okay. This was in 1936, so social mores were a little different then than now.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I'm told they first met while smelt dipping with mutual friends.

jim mcnamara said:
My parents met riding a rollercoaster at Glen Echo Park (now closed). My mom was sitting with two friends, one seat was vacant (4 seater). My dad was next in line. There was a long line of people waiting to get on, so the attendant asked if it was okay if my dad were to sit in, next to my mom.

Talk about a serendipitous union. The old "pay the carousel operator to sneak you into the empty seat next to the pretty girl trick." I know that one all too well :wink:

My parents met at the dining commons at one of the dorms at UCLA in 1966, the same year that Jim Morrison and Ray Manzerik were getting high on the on the local beach and talking about swimming to the moon. My dad let out a cheesy wolf whistle and my mom fell for it. Pretty straightforward and unremarkable, but effective. Lucky for you guys, though, from that union the DiracPool spawn was birthed :oldcool:

DiracPool said:
...My dad let out a cheesy wolf whistle and my my mom fell for it. ...
What a nice story! That makes me imagine more than the main information you may only want to tell :nb).

Silicon Waffle said:
What a nice story! That makes me imagine more than the main information you may only want to tell

You can go ahead and imagine it, I really don't want to know the what the hippies did in the dorm rooms at UCLA in 60's after a nutritious meal at the campus dining commons. Somehow I materialized from that era of debauchery, but I'm not wanting of the details :redface:

Likes Silicon Waffle

1. Where did your parents meet?

My parents met at a college party in their freshman year.

2. How did your parents meet?

They were introduced by mutual friends who thought they would hit it off.

3. When did your parents meet?

They met in the fall semester of their freshman year, about 30 years ago.

4. Did your parents know each other before they met?

No, they did not know each other before they met at the party.

5. Do your parents still remember the exact location where they met?

They both remember the name of the bar where the party was held, but the exact location has since been torn down.